39 Top Gun Question

Notices

39 Top Gun Question

Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 39 Top Gun Question

The deck hatch in the cabin on our 39 Top Gun would not stay up, so I replaced the gas springs thinking that they were just worn out. I ordered a new pair of gas springs (same part # as the old ones) and put them on only to find out that it still will not stay up. Can anybody give me a model number of the correct gas springs for the deck hatch? The ones on there now are Attwood SL4-10-1. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

mine has same problem. someone said there should be a clip at the end to lock it in the up position. i will take a look at mine this weekend to see. i was thinking i would need to replace all 4 of mine too
Old 05-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
The deck hatch in the cabin on our 39 Top Gun would not stay up, so I replaced the gas springs thinking that they were just worn out. I ordered a new pair of gas springs (same part # as the old ones) and put them on only to find out that it still will not stay up. Can anybody give me a model number of the correct gas springs for the deck hatch? The ones on there now are Attwood SL4-10-1. Thanks for the help!
Will, it sounds like the whole boat is a big fat piece of crap.

On the ones we use from Bomar, when you open the hatch; you put a 1/2 twist to them, and they lock in place at any position. Do yours do that?

If that's not the ticket, I bet Phil knows what to do. Carrying two broom handles around could get cumbersome.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:58 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing happed with 2 boats here - except we got a year on new gas springs before they would give out.
You can order those in 10LB increments. The ones you have are 10lb. Rogman ordered some for his boat and mine @ 20lbs.
They should stay up. I'll see if he can chime in w/ part #, but I suspect it is Attwood SL4-20-1.

Sydwayz, what Cig uses for a hatch is much more robust. The hatch won't peel off like a Bomar should the boat take on U-boat like characteristics. Thus it needs a gas assist spring to automatically stay up. I assume, like everything else - Attwood is not making them like they used to. Thus their springs are not as strong as they were when they made them a few years ago. Probably now made in China.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillR

Sydwayz, what Cig uses for a hatch is much more robust. The hatch won't peel off like a Bomar should the boat take on U-boat like characteristics.
I knew that was coming
Old 05-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by BillR
...Sydwayz, what Cig uses for a hatch is much more robust. The hatch won't peel off like a Bomar should the boat take on U-boat like characteristics. ... (
WOW! That was a landmine!

Is that what happened to Macklin's hatch? When I saw it on the shelf, it looked like someone had stepped on it.

I've put mine through some SERIOUS beatings, and had a wave CREST over the bow while we were driving UP it at 30* that had no ill effects on my hatches.

Regardless, I just wanted to make sure Will was certain that his struts did not operate similar to ours.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Got mine from Phil Lipship. Worked great.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

we stock several different pressures and sizes. if you want to give us a call maybe we can help you. call 860-388-6000 and ask for Mike in parts. Thanks Chris
Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they should mount at the end.. you need longer shocks.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Mine both gave out last year( the boat is an 02). One call to Phil and i had replacments. so far so good

Quick Reply: 39 Top Gun Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.