Bullet Owners >

Bullet Owners

Notices

Bullet Owners

Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bullet Owners

I have an 88 Bullet that I am now on my 4th season that has constantly collected water on the INSIDE face of the transom, usually after about 45 MPH. You can see a swirl of exhaust and water just behind the sun pad, that apparently is being sucked into the engine compartment vent that runs above the transom. The motors are 509/500HP, and I am running exhaust tips that are cut on a 45deg angle.

If I open the engine hatch just 1/4", problem goes away (all dry). Every Bullet I have seen has basically the same vents, and there are many with larger engines than mine. Can't figure why I would have a problem.

Anyone experience this?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had that problem when I had mine....I had "scoops" though that may have forced enough air through to stop it.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you run with your blowers on or off.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:21 PM
JSP
Registered

I never had that problem. I have the "shotgun" exhaust tips on mine.
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o23923-en.html
Old 07-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Registered

Carter - I run with the blowers off as they are drawing air out of the engine compartment (maybe I need another pair of blowers wired to blow into the engine compartment).

JSP- The exhaust tips are about as long as your "shotguns". I was thinking about cutting the angled tips so they would accept the Salisbury (sp?) type of external exhaust flapper - maybe that will knock down the spray and allow the back vent to breath without drawing in water vapor?

I just think the whole thing is strange because I know others do not have this problem.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Steve_H

mine never leaked from the vents but old school told me his did. could it be the way you are coming off plane? i always come off gradually out of habit.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Registered

Steve - I always come off plane gradually myself as well.

This problem is when I am above about 40-45 MPH. Just a constant swirl of wet exhaust at the top of the transom being sucked into the engine compartment. Looks like a fog behind the engine cover.

If Old School had a similar problem, wonder what exhaust tips he was running? I am thinking about cutting off my angled tips and installing external exhaust flappers. Maybe that will knock the wet exhaust down and eliminate the swirling.

Wonder how the Bullet would look with a rear spoiler?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

If it is pulling air in from the back i would add more air in from the front.....It should flow threw the engine compartment front to back.....They have done a lot of air testing in engine compartments to get proper positive air flow...It sounds like you would fix two problems with one solution....
Old 07-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Steve_H

i wonder if it has to do with a notched/straight transom or maybe what props your using?

mine was a straight transom and old style mirage 3 blades.

drive showers maybe. mine didnt have them.

mine also had the same tips are yours.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Salsbury flaps and drive showers 89 notched...If any of this helps........

Quick Reply: Bullet Owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.