Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
How much HP needed to get 38' to 100 mph? >

How much HP needed to get 38' to 100 mph?

Notices

How much HP needed to get 38' to 100 mph?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted the video of this boat some time ago rolling over on its side in an attempt to see, 1. is this common on Cig's 2. to see if anyone knows what causes and 3. to see if anyone knows a cure as I did not want to get involved with a problematic boat.

Of course, they had already committed to the Arnesons well before they sent me the video and they had no comments on the cause.

Any idea as to what caused the side roll?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik

Any idea as to what caused the side roll?
In the video, the driver is out there running circle track laps with much smaller boats in his 38. When he gets pitched, he attempts a hard right hand turn at slower speed right before it catches.

Twin Steps Cigarettes don't react as quickly to hard turns because the drives "should be" somewhat trimmed out before making a turn. You have to let the boat take it's position into the turn naturally, rather than keep forcing it more and more to do so. At slow speeds this can be more pronounced especially if the drives are still in a higher speed position.

If you force it, it WILL eventually catch, but then the drives are turned too aggressively for a smooth transition. If they're turned TOO much, the hull will "catch" and yank itself into position which will likely throw everyone out depending on the speed. If that guy had been going faster, it would have likely rolled on over. If he'd punched the throttle when it started gripping, he might have saved it. That's tough to think of in the heat of the moment, and hindsight at best.

I've tested this by myself when I had my TS Gun, just so that I would know the boats likes and dislikes. They definitely aren't meant to run in such a small area like the one in that video.

Also, if it had Arneson's on it during the accident, I was told by Neill that the TS boats aren't as agile with surface drives due to the "dirty" water coming off the steps at the rear. I have no experience with that setup though.

With 900hp that boat should be running 110, assuming the drives would allow it to get there. I like the yellow.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Question

Originally Posted by BLee
In the video, the driver is out there running circle track laps with much smaller boats in his 38. When he gets pitched, he attempts a hard right hand turn at slower speed right before it catches.

Twin Steps Cigarettes don't react as quickly to hard turns because the drives "should be" somewhat trimmed out before making a turn. You have to let the boat take it's position into the turn naturally, rather than keep forcing it more and more to do so. At slow speeds this can be more pronounced especially if the drives are still in a higher speed position.

If you force it, it WILL eventually catch, but then the drives are turned too aggressively for a smooth transition. If they're turned TOO much, the hull will "catch" and yank itself into position which will likely throw everyone out depending on the speed. If that guy had been going faster, it would have likely rolled on over. If he'd punched the throttle when it started gripping, he might have saved it. That's tough to think of in the heat of the moment, and hindsight at best.

I've tested this by myself when I had my TS Gun, just so that I would know the boats likes and dislikes. They definitely aren't meant to run in such a small area like the one in that video.

Also, if it had Arneson's on it during the accident, I was told by Neill that the TS boats aren't as agile with surface drives due to the "dirty" water coming off the steps at the rear. I have no experience with that setup though.

With 900hp that boat should be running 110, assuming the drives would allow it to get there. I like the yellow.
BLee, the purple/pink 2004 38' with 900hp Sterlings and #6's ran 108mph all day with Mercury props!!!!! Greeklightning's old boat. One of my all time favorites also???
Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blume
BLee, the purple/pink 2004 38' with 900hp Sterlings and #6's ran 108mph all day!!!!! Greeklightning's old boat. One of my all time favorites also???

Yeah, that was a fast boat. I wonder if anyone ever got it dialed in better? The #6 drives sure make a big difference.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Yeah, that was a fast boat. I wonder if anyone ever got it dialed in better? The #6 drives sure make a big difference.

I don't think so, it should run 110 to 112mph dialed in and with Herings? A 38' with #6's is sweet.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rik. Great job with the Arneson package.

My only remark was with the previous set-up, and trying to attain speeds at or over 100hph. Power steering a must. Pro-charged 575s knocking out 850Hp, Not a reliable package.
The guys who work on the boat are a great team and committed to doing the best they can to get results,
I am sure they have gone through many drives and pro-Charger set ups .

Good job the mishap was on a Lake/River. with people present !! and not out in the big water offshore.
Duna
Old 12-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Thanks, it had Bravo's on it during its little fun ride. I was just worried after seeing that video.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by Dunarunner
Hey Rik. Great job with the Arneson package.

My only remark was with the previous set-up, and trying to attain speeds at or over 100hph. Power steering a must. Pro-charged 575s knocking out 850Hp, Not a reliable package.
The guys who work on the boat are a great team and committed to doing the best they can to get results,
I am sure they have gone through many drives and pro-Charger set ups .

Good job the mishap was on a Lake/River. with people present !! and not out in the big water offshore.
Duna
I think they have had their share of engine problems to go along with their Bravo problems.

Why did they never go faster with all that power they had? I know they had engines and drive issues but I would have though it would have coasted past 100 with that power before either broke.

How do you know the Yellow Boat?

Last edited by Rik; 12-08-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by blume
BLee, the purple/pink 2004 38' with 900hp Sterlings and #6's ran 108mph all day with Mercury props!!!!! Greeklightning's old boat. One of my all time favorites also???
So, 900's = 108

675 Eickerts = 102

and this boat 920 hp with Bravo's = 100 and now 730's & Arneson's = 100

Are all the bottoms the same? I wonder if they all have the same basic interior below?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
So, 900's = 108

675 Eickerts = 102

and this boat 920 hp with Bravo's = 100 and now 730's & Arneson's = 100

Are all the bottoms the same? I wonder if they all have the same basic interior below?
Interiors of the TS models, for weight discussion purposes, are all essentially 2 styles, either an extended cabin with the front v-berth, and couches on each side, OR just the couches, with the front v, unfinished. While the first style would definitely add some weight in the front I don't think it would carve MUCH speed off.

Quick Reply: How much HP needed to get 38' to 100 mph?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.