2000 TopGun Lip-Ship Resto >

2000 TopGun Lip-Ship Resto

Notices

2000 TopGun Lip-Ship Resto

Old 01-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
Wrong. That particular boat was $225K + when new and was sold to a second owner the same year for over $210K
Why do you say Wrong?

You are un-informed of what you could buy a top gun for in 2000. I was in the market for a new boat and eventually ordered a 2001 Play Boy which was cheaper than the 2000 LIP-SHIP Top Gun in Question.

I was offered the same TOP-GUN model from Ralph Martin marine in 2000 for $175K, light lay-up, with Dave Hunter palnt and Bulldogs instead of 500 EFI's. Boat ran 77-78 MPH.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad
Why do you say Wrong?

You are un-informed of what you could buy a top gun for in 2000. I was in the market for a new boat and eventually ordered a 2001 Play Boy which was cheaper than the 2000 LIP-SHIP Top Gun in Question.

I was offered the same TOP-GUN model from Ralph Martin marine in 2000 for $175K, light lay-up, with Dave Hunter palnt and Bulldogs instead of 500 EFI's. Boat ran 77-78 MPH.
I owned that boat and know the history of that boat and what it sold for to the first 4 owners. $175K may have bought you a stripped Martin Topgun back then, but not this boat.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting debate...I know of a few Chevelles that are worth a bit more now than they were new. Point being what the boat cost or was new is irrelevant. The subject boat, while yes a flat bottom, has a somewhat unique layup and has now been completely redone. In many ways the boat is now probably better than it was when new simply because the components are much better now. Try doing a complete resto on a boat and see what it costs. And remember some may prefer a flat bottom over a ts. If you're looking for a very well done, turn-key, old school type boat that will last for years, I think it appropriately priced.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by omerta one
Interesting debate...I know of a few Chevelles that are worth a bit more now than they were new. Point being what the boat cost or was new is irrelevant. The subject boat, while yes a flat bottom, has a somewhat unique layup and has now been completely redone. In many ways the boat is now probably better than it was when new simply because the components are much better now. Try doing a complete resto on a boat and see what it costs. And remember some may prefer a flat bottom over a ts. If you're looking for a very well done, turn-key, old school type boat that will last for years, I think it appropriately priced.
Even though this boat is a straight hull you have to appreciate the fact that it is a light lay up Cig done by Phil and NEEDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.......When I bought my current boat(not a cig but a Hustler 388) 2 years ago I planned on doing a "few" upgrades to a 99 that was in very good condition which turned into $30,000 in upgrades real quick.......these were just cosmetic. The longer you look at a boat you decide to replace some interior showing some light wear, some custom painting here and there, maybe powdercoat this and that, maybe some new guages or a trailer restoration, custom touches to accent your ride etc., replacing items that when you bought the boat you thought you would never touch. All in an effort to get your older model to as close to new condition as you can. If it's showroom condition (I would expect nothing less from Phil) I can see it bringing close to that price.....a timeless classic
Old 01-30-2009, 06:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I bought the boat from Pudge, 235k at the time, and it is 10 times better now than it was then..
Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by twinsteptiger
I bought the boat from Pudge, 235k at the time, and it is 10 times better now than it was then..
Case closed!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Bottom line....You're getting a brand new boat for 150k. Original light lay up that has been completely updated, gone through inside and out, from the prop nuts to the bow rub rail. This is BAR NONE the nicest straight bottom Cig on the market right now! More than other straight bottom Cigs? Maybe. But it's been said over and over again...You get what you pay for!

You can not compare the build quality. The quality of the build is second to none! The price is what it is. Debate it all you want but it was set by someone that obviously knows the market and knows how much went into the boat. Anyone that has bought from Phil or knows Phil, knows he's a very fair person.

whomever is in the market and interested in looking at this boat, here's some advise:

Do not walk into Phils office and "grind him" or "beat him up" on the price. You will be tossed out on your azz. Phils good to work with and more importantly, he will work with you. Go in and be straight up and he'll be straight up with you. Try to play hard ball and he wont sell you the boat for 200k if you're being an azz.

Last edited by thisistank; 01-30-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Beautiful boat. The paint is incredible, first class, no corners cut anywhere. As Tank said, it's a new Cig for short $$$
Old 01-31-2009, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is how i got my first boat from phil, it was a 99 F2 straight bottom and it was perfect when i got it and those were my best two years of boating, (except i like runing in the 90s now) turn key, no repairs, no down time for paint, interior, engines etc. get in go, and always had great story to tell at the dock about the boat,.

That boat will get more attention at the dock then most that are few years old. I saw that boat in person last weekend and its a 10, there is a serious buyer there right now looking at it, so if you are interested better call today
Old 01-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pm203
I owned that boat and know the history of that boat and what it sold for to the first 4 owners. $175K may have bought you a stripped Martin Topgun back then, but not this boat.

Not sure what a stripped down cig was considered at the time. Boat was vacuum bagged, sea strainers, XR, I would have rather had bull dogs than the 500 EFI’s at the time.

Seems to be an incredible bias towards the Lip Ship models by some people. Philly has worked hard for a strong following and loyal customers. Good for him and I applauded his ability to serve his market. You are paying a premium to have his name on your boat! Is the Lip Ship model worth significantly more than another cig built by the same company? I guess for you is was worth close to $50 K more, personally I would rather put the extra money into Poker Runs and vacations.

Quick Reply: 2000 TopGun Lip-Ship Resto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.