http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1115809568.html
Old 04-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jmackin
Craigslist find. Deal for someone?
http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1115809568.html

NO DEAL!

I called about this one last March & i jeffman1000 looked at it.
The marina salesman is an azz, ad says they will finish the engines at a price. But when i asked him for estimate on what he would charge to get running, he said they are too busy & selling it as is. Back when we called, they wanted $67k for it. told him way overpriced (even back then) for one that doesnt run & no help on engines.

hmm.. now ad says they have original engines. Last year the story was both blocks were cracked due to someone sea trialing boat in OK (over winter) & not getting re-winterized properly. Also has price for what it will cost to finish engines. I guess he has been getting asked the same thing over & over on calls.

Last edited by BDiggity; 04-10-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: re-read ad
Old 04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

wow. 150 photos..impressive...
Old 04-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That boat is still not a deal. When did he tell you the blocks were cracked? I never heard that part of the story.

It's just a run of the mill TRS Cafe Racer that someone tried to put some bigger engines in. I think they are tall deck bow tie blocks, but I can't remember for sure. That is not a marina where it is at, but just a regular repair shop where they work on everything.

I thought about calling the guy and busting his balls some more, but it just isn't any fun when you all ready know the answers.

I would be willing to bet that absolutely nothing has been done to it since then, and it probably has been sitting out in the weather since then also.

Pics don't do it justice as it really is in pretty piss poor shape.

That guy that has it really screwed up a bunch of chit because he didn't know his limitations when he sarted working on it.

I would be willing to bet by now also, that proving ownership and title work would be very difficult also.

All of the upholster was shot beyond repair last year when I looked at it also.

Funniest thing about that whole experience was him telling me "yeah, just need to put the carburator back on that engine there and it will be ready to go"

Me: So what kind of cam is in it, Pushrods etc?

Him: Well I didn't build them so I wouldn't know, but it is all really expensive chit.

Me: Well why don't I just look real quick.

I then very casually lift the intake right off the engine and look down into it where I find out that there weren't any lifters or pushrods in the motor. Then I took the wingnuts off the valve covers and discovered that there wasn't any rockers on it eitehr.

I really fought back the urge to ask him how he was going to get it running by just putting the carb back on it.

I would have those engines torn down before I even started negotiating on the boat.

I really feel bad if anyone pays this guy real money for this thing thinking they are buying a nice boat.

It has a ton of potential, but it will be expensive.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
wow. 150 photos..impressive...
Those pics in the ad must be 2 years old.

A lot of guys here on the board used to drive by and see that boat parked out front every day when they were on their way to work. That has been 2 years ago.

What sucks is if the guy wasn't such anAzzhole, he could probably find somebody willing to take it off his hands.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
That boat is still not a deal. When did he tell you the blocks were cracked? I never heard that part of the story.
he said the original blocks were cracked, which he said were 454's. Assuming Hawk 525's.

Our Cafe is far from perfect. But for what we could spend, i am glad we stayed away from this one.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Hurley
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
NO DEAL!

I called about this one last March & i jeffman1000 looked at it.
The marina salesman is an azz, ad says they will finish the engines at a price. But when i asked him for estimate on what he would charge to get running, he said they are too busy & selling it as is. Back when we called, they wanted $67k for it. told him way overpriced (even back then) for one that doesnt run & no help on engines.

hmm.. now ad says they have original engines. Last year the story was both blocks were cracked due to someone sea trialing boat in OK (over winter) & not getting re-winterized properly. Also has price for what it will cost to finish engines. I guess he has been getting asked the same thing over & over on calls.

Agreed. I took a shot at that one well over a year ago. The guy was as you say "an ass". Didn't know his head from a whole in the ground. Heard the same story about the cracked blocks. I wouldn't trust the engines. They looked like Mickey Mouse did the install. We all know the boat has a lot of potential! Its buyer beware on the honesty of the guy selling. That would be my concern.