Need advice on my first Cig

Notices

Need advice on my first Cig

Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tanner
A complete nightmare, alot of time and 3 times the money that you think you will spend in the beginning. Just think every stainless steel nut, bolt and washer is at least 30 cents each.. now think about motors , drives, upholstery etc...it just never ends !!! Just buy a boat that is in good shape, or that someone has already done the work too, you will safe alot in the long run !!!
I 100% agree with you Tanner & others.

If I were you Doug C, I'd look no further than Sean's Cafe Racer:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...Racer-95036298

This boat will run for MANY season's to come, has been totally updated inside & out, and will be the most reliable setup available for the money you are looking to spend.

Here's a thread as well, telling about the boat. It's nice as hell, and a great price. 496's have a few excellent add on's, that you can up the power without giving up reliability, if you decide you want to go faster. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...-shoppers.html
Old 07-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug c
I thought it would create some good father/son time for my 14 year old and me. I bought a little 202 Crownline LPX last year that was perfect and there is nothing really to do to it other than polish it up - and the fruits of the labor of course. Maybe I should look for one with few bells and whistles in my price range and upgrade from there?
Don't worry - owning an offshore power boat that is in great shape will still offer you PLENTY of father/son time. Maintenance and repair on any HIPO boat will provide you more than enough wrench turning opportunities.

If I had 60k I would look for a nice Cafe Racer, Gun, or Bullett that was ready to go on a nice trailer.

What have you got for a truck - please don't say an F150.

As for the Cig/Fountain debate I'll relay a little tale that made me smile - I was at a poker run recently and there were several guys standing in the bathroom talking shop. I didn't know any of them and wasn't involved in the conversation, but they owned a variety of boats including Sonics and Fountains. EVERY last one of them was talking about how they couldn't wait to move up to a CIG. The look, the construction, the rigging, the size, the resale - it is a no-brainer unless all you care about is calm water speed.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 PM
87cafe
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amen i like the cig/fountian debate!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 616 Likes on 180 Posts

Here is what you need, you can go out and enjoy it now,
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o29987-en.html
It looks great for an older boat and he really takes care of it
Old 07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Registered

Ha! I do have an F-150. I would keep it storage at the lake and have the marina drop it in - cheaper than gas in the dually to the lake. I'm saving my pennies in the meantime, hopefully for a nice 95-98 cafe or Top Gun maybe next year or two. I'll keep stalking the board in the meantime and learn what I can.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug c
Ha! I do have an F-150. I would keep it storage at the lake and have the marina drop it in - cheaper than gas in the dually to the lake. I'm saving my pennies in the meantime, hopefully for a nice 95-98 cafe or Top Gun maybe next year or two. I'll keep stalking the board in the meantime and learn what I can.
Just to help you when you are searching - the only made a handful of 95 cafe's (possibly a 96) but nothing after that. Any of them from 90+ will have the new style interior.

I stalked the boards for quite a while before I found what I wanted.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Don't do the project boat unless you can do 90 percent of the work yourself and you don't mind shopping around for parts.You will spend a bundle!I am restoring a 1978 Mistress(2 years into resto) but you can have plenty of problems with a boat just 10 years old.I would also go single engine unless u are going to be in big water.cut your maint in half!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the help guys. My wife is set on a cruiser, so we have some serious debating to do (I need to grow some balls and just get my cig). We are at least a year out saving up anyways so there's still time...
Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a 2004 Formula 31PC in excellent condition if you want a cruiser.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Registered

Bigboat28, I have looked at some Formulas and like them, but have another year before I'm buyin. I'm still set on a Cig