'05 39' Cigarette Top Gun

Notices

'05 39' Cigarette Top Gun

Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
seriously....I'd only consider it a "homo seat" if you were a homo and the guy next to you was a homo Otherwise, I think it's actually an interesting set up (one I'd have no problem running) and the cabin layout is waaaaaay cooler than the standard 39 cabin (imho).
I agree - I think the side by side seating like that is pretty cool, and think that my wife would really enjoy it. Especially when we are just cruising, or crawling up and down the local creeks having a drink.

Plus - like I said earlier the cabin layout would be great.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by aim300x
So whats a good deal[what should i offer] for this vessel or keep looking for bigger powered boat?
Take this with a grain of salt because it is coming from a guy who isn't, nor will be anytime soon, in the market for a boat of this caliber, but if I was planning on keeping the boat for several seasons than, no, the "smaller" power wouldn't scare me off. You would have to rebuild it eventually anyways, most likely before you sold it, and you could always pull the 525's and sell them and repower with something with more grunt, either down the road, or before you sell it to make resale easier.

525's are a pretty desireable used block so you could probably come out pretty well going to larger power.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
you could always pull the 525's and sell them and repower with something with more grunt, either down the road, or before you sell it to make resale easier.

525's are a pretty desireable used block so you could probably come out pretty well going to larger power.

That boat will blow drives right & left with any engines big enough to make repowering it worth it. An upgrade to 600hp, isn't enough to notice vs the cost involved, and 700+ will make the XR's the weak link.

Take the boat for what it is, and don't try to make it something it's not. As it sits, it will be reliable as hell for YEARS to come. If you start repowering it to go faster, mess with the drives, etc, you will gain more headaches than mph.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Stay with the 525's...
It just seems the guys who have bigger power can't boat weekend after weekend...stock guys are almost always on the water...and boating past the big power guys who are limping in.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if this really goes for $180k then it is gonna put a hurting on earlier 38 TS's resale. NO?

Last edited by jmackin; 08-12-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmackin
if this really goes for $180k then it is gonna put a hurting on earlier 38 TS's resale. NO?
They already go for low 100's

Besides, how much more $ does it take to build a 39 over a 38 with same options? Extra little bit of glass/resin, one driveshaft, one set of long tailpipes. Thats all I can think of.$10K?? Maybe? I know Cig charged way more but...
Old 08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also not sure if i would want the "first" of anything

Just my o2 ct.. and worth every cent..
Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Registered

Its a unique boat, runs mid-upper 80s, runs on pump gas, whats not to like for that price!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dkwestern
They already go for low 100's

Besides, how much more $ does it take to build a 39 over a 38 with same options? Extra little bit of glass/resin, one driveshaft, one set of long tailpipes. Thats all I can think of.$10K?? Maybe? I know Cig charged way more but...
Point taken, drop a foot of boat and price drops 30% to 40%. Maybe the 39s were overpriced back in the day, and this is the market that is speaking at the moment.

Nothing to do with cig but i recall looking at cats 36 feet last summer and they were 100.000$ more.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLee
As it sits, it will be reliable as hell for YEARS to come. If you start repowering it to go faster, mess with the drives, etc, you will gain more headaches than mph.
Originally Posted by Schweeng
Stay with the 525's...
It just seems the guys who have bigger power can't boat weekend after weekend...stock guys are almost always on the water...and boating past the big power guys who are limping in.
Very Good advice.

If you want more wait for the 700/NXT boats to come down. But as it is that boat will run for years if left alone. I for one really like those 39's.

Last edited by Von Bongo; 08-13-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.