Originally Posted by thisistank
He owned AMIII.
Thanks Tank, I stand corrected......
Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdowns
Don't forget about the# 6 Drives
Im still learning about engines and drives (the good and bad of all the setups) so excuse my stupid questions, but whats the usuall problems with merc 1075s and #6s?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by krazy1
Man, its got 1075s it has engine problems that don't end! Well after the first 100-200 hrs that is! Awesome power but very high maintenance! 50K refresh every 200 hrs! thats x 2 of course!!

Is it worth 299 YES! The 1075s are 100k each!

If I had that kind of maintenance $$ I would buy it!
It doesnt cost 50K a motor to rebuild a 1075. Merc's prices were around 30K depending on things. You can have other builders do the same quality work for half that.

Last edited by OL40SVX; 01-05-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boatntrkr
Im still learning about engines and drives (the good and bad of all the setups) so excuse my stupid questions, but whats the usuall problems with merc 1075s and #6s?
I haven't experienced any problems with the engines and drives. Rebuilds without upgrades are 25K a piece.

100 or 200 hours are real hours. ECM does not lie about hours. Most people just want a boat that....

Makes power it says
Ildes without stalling
Actually goes 100-200 hours without breaking down on the water
Starts with a simple push of a button
To name a few...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
I dont understand why people would pay that money to run a pair of 1075's when there are well known engine builders out there that are getting over 1200hp with a refresh every 200hrs at less than $20K a piece.....Who cares if it says Mercury on it. I would much rather have my builders cell phone number in my pocket, and when there is a problem on a sunday afternoon, you are treated like you are their only customer. I just cant see that happening with mercury.
i have several of the guys in the shop that exclusively works on my 1075's. just text one of them this evening to ask a question..... text returned right away.... well into the evening... and this is pretty normal.

called another 'really good one' earlier today asking him a question about a specific boat that i received a call to purchase on.... he too answered ------------ and has always been there to help.... one specific time on LOTO without even having to ask.

needed a specific part ASAP and a good boater friend's guys made it happen. mine didn't have the part readily available (it was custom, not an off-the-shelf deal).

with that being said, you might consider having your choice of mechanics to be 100% 'in the know' re: whatever motors you have. outside of mercury, i know several well known engine guys (that people around here all speak highly of). for example, one 'big one' likes you to ship your motors to him if ANYTHING is wrong... another got on a plane to come look at someone i know's boat at his location.

such a general statement is possibly overly-broad... besides ---- the glass is half full, man!!!!! haha.

all the best,

joe

ps: IMO, once you find the mechanic/shop you are comfortable with, and they get to know you as a no bs guy, things line-up pretty easily, regardless of the engine builder. ---- and having great friends and friend's mechanics helps us all when we're out of our locale. aka... brotherhood, baby!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by boatntrkr
lack of preventative maintance and the wrong mechanics.

check the lashing every engine and tranny oil change (every 10 hrs. --- waaay extends the time on the engines, letting them live longer.... more to say, just too much to type here). also replace fuel filters.

1075's will cut the power upon reentry, so it helps on the tranny stress vs. many of the other high hp motors.

change drive oil every other oil change and replace filter at 50 hrs.

let them warm up completely before running it past 1500 rpm.

check that all the bolts etc... in the engine room are tight EVERY RUN (esp. header bolts and motor mounts). on long runs it's a good idea to have them looked over 'the next morning' after arriving at your PR event location.

keep them sprayed down with crc.

don't let them idle for a long duration. oil get's into the fuel. you can smell it in the dry sump tanks if/when it happens. change the oil right away or you're losing engine life.

replace pulleys w/ double r's right away. the merc. pullies only last 20*30 hrs, if you're lucky. if you see chalking on the pullies... they're about to go and you'll grenade your computers, fuel pumps and more. just replace them!

that's a good start, and most of the 'majors'.

--- btw... there are no stupid questions!!!!

hope that helps,

joe
Old 01-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
It doesnt cost 50K a motor to rebuild a 1075. Merc's prices were around 30K depending on things. You can have other builders do the same quality work for half that.
...and several of them will stand behind the motors with similar/ identical warranties as mercury (for significantly less than 30k, if you're fishing in front of the net w/ your maintance).

joe

btw: i just had the skater winterized today --- you conneticut boys need to keep the 20 degree weather up there!!!!! lol.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Joe....I hated school...but I love learning this stuff.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

listen to joe he seems to really know his $hit. Most of the guys with the new high $$$$ stuff dont have a clue about the mechanics of everything and just drop it off at the dealer and tell them to do what they do and have it ready for the next weekend.....
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, sounds like you've been around the block a few times. Thanks for all the info.
www.chicagopowerboat.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.