Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!! >

restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!

Notices

restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default restoring 20' cig.... NEED ur Thoughts!!! need info!!!

Hi all

so I picked up a basket case 20' foot cig and it will be dropped at my shop tomarrow... This one is as rough as they come and was touched in all the wrong ways.. #1 the first big fix the transom was cut! It was done to make an out board well.... They just glassed plywood between the storage compartments and cut a hole in the hatch between the hinges. #2 they glassed over the hin its a 1972 may have ben a brass tag that was pulled at that age.. #3 It looks like the engine bunks were removed there is only plywood stringers in the engine bay? #4 there has been a large hole cut in the back seat.

now I am know stranger to building cars and boats. but I know there are a lot of guys that fallow this brand and know the right and wrong way to restore a very early 20' cig..

so its time for me to do some asking...

#1 Where are the hin ID plates???? other then the transom hin

I have the old registration and a bill of sale and some random paper work... non have the hin #

#2 I think this boat was sold with a 350ci engine. was it ever sold with any thing other?

#3 is a 454 an acceptable repower? or is there a larger market for bone stock.

this was a jet drive boat but it seems like most 20's are now converted to outdrive.

#4 whats the best drive option for a 350?

#5 whats the best drive option for a 454?

#6 did the boat have engine bunks or was the motor bracketed off the plywood? can't be right.

thanks for any help...

P.S here is a link to my last project to bad I can post here,, did the full blister peal & triaxle carbon bottom job!!!
http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/be...ght=35+bertram

Last edited by tomuchstuff; 02-23-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

Very nice job on the Bertrum. This should be a peice of cake for you.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I'll post a couple pics of my 20 glassdave has it out in Toledo, we have custom blower hatch made and will have a cowl mold with the pieces available as well for purchase if you want to make it a gladiator clone.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Registered

Very impressive work on the Bertram indeed.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the one that was in Boynton?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you I'd go with a 454 and Bravo 1 outdrives. Cheap to get, cheap to fix, and should be able to make/handle some good power back there.

Someone else can correct me if they feel otherwise, but there doesn't seem to be the same respect/market for boats that are purely original. Upgrades/improvements/ and "your take" on the boat always seem appreciated by the new buyer. Any of these old school race boats, offshores, etc. all seem to bring more money updated than purely original. I would make it your own. You can choose to respect the vintage and choose an interior or paint scheme to match the era, or you can go wild with it and totally update it with the most state of the art stuff you can find. The only problem with the latter is you'll end up spending a ton of cash that you'll never see back out of it...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I'll post a couple pics of my 20 glassdave has it out in Toledo, we have custom blower hatch made and will have a cowl mold with the pieces available as well for purchase if you want to make it a gladiator clone.
I am not in the know here about the gladiator, being new to go fast boats... What is the history on the gladiator? are the gladiator clone boats the boats with the fiberglass molded wind screens, and modern style go fast seating? was there a scoop on the hatch of all the 20' foot boats, was it factory or an add on?

I'd love to see some photos of you boat. I do not know if my member level on the site will allow me look at you photos..

thanks for your reply

ps
is the gladiator cloned after a 36?

Last edited by tomuchstuff; 02-24-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Is this the one that was in Boynton?
yes it the same boat... I think a member of this site also looked at it and posted on what he saw.. I did not see his post untill to day when searching for posts on 20's..
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
If I were you I'd go with a 454 and Bravo 1 outdrives. Cheap to get, cheap to fix, and should be able to make/handle some good power back there.

Someone else can correct me if they feel otherwise, but there doesn't seem to be the same respect/market for boats that are purely original. Upgrades/improvements/ and "your take" on the boat always seem appreciated by the new buyer. Any of these old school race boats, offshores, etc. all seem to bring more money updated than purely original. I would make it your own. You can choose to respect the vintage and choose an interior or paint scheme to match the era, or you can go wild with it and totally update it with the most state of the art stuff you can find. The only problem with the latter is you'll end up spending a ton of cash that you'll never see back out of it...

Ya nothing sounds like a tricked big block after it passes.... I think your right about upgrading a boat. seem boaters want to see a cig with some slick mods, more power, better drive and so on. seems to me there are some mods a lot of guys do to the 20's like seating, paint, and wind screen.

I tend to like to keep all bulk heads and stringers as the factory planed.. for a second due to the fact there's an O/B hanging off her, I thought about cutting the back seat out moving it back to the transom closing the hole in the transom and putting a bracket with two 300hp's O/B on her.. but it seem like more work , and just a down right sin... I am not a big fan of glass window mod's on fishing boats where they close the front windows but the fiber glass wind screen on a 20'cig looks good... but the factor wind screen is also slick so I am at this point torn... also I don't know if all the 20's had a scoop on the back she's a 1972 so she is a real old model. kinda round in the back may look good clean... I end up painting all my stuff, well I have to do it all, its a cost thing gotten good I can spray flag blue awlgrip and kandy.. but I am between some thing crazy like hok color changing paint have a lot on the shelf, or a yellow or red awlgrip old school job.

all I do know is I'm going to strip her tomarrow, then she'll need a full paint peal and 15 gallons of glass or so and a lot of thought..
Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Post some pictures! I have no doubt you have the talent to make this thing really cool. Awesome work on the Bertram.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.