Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Okay I have questions for the pro's >

Okay I have questions for the pro's

Notices

Okay I have questions for the pro's

Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got $100,000.00 into mine. And that doesn't include what I paid for the boat. It's an 87, but will be brand new more or less. Still less than buying brand new.........that's what I tell myself to make me feel better about all of the money I'm spending, especially in this economic climate.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Buy one done, not worth restoring one. You can't take short cuts with cigarettes, or else they will show it and nobody will want the boat. you will have to restore it to cigarette level or better. Best to pay a little more upfront, turn the key and ENJOY!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks for all the help I have been going stir crazy thinking about which way to go about the next boat.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 364 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Buy one done, not worth restoring one. You can't take short cuts with cigarettes, or else they will show it and nobody will want the boat. you will have to restore it to cigarette level or better. Best to pay a little more upfront, turn the key and ENJOY!
I have to agree to that...
Jr.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Registered

Think about what you want out of the boat that you want how long you plan to keep it and so on... restoring a 35 if you do it buy one half dead and shot may be gutted to save a buck on step #1..

step #1 brake down
crow bar and hammer work 5K if there is no power and drives with engins and drives 6 may be 7K do not skimp here you will pay later

Now your gutted and worth less stop now and u pay $10 a foot to dump it + a ride to the dump..

step 2 body work and body and "mod".. say 1978 a beat old 35 cigarette boat no "mods" 5K for you glass, puddy, core and 5k labor, to make sure the only waves are under you boat and not on it.. 3k more if you need cabin refit...

now your in primer and can take a loss if you want out say 5 k for you boat I say I'll give you 2K...

step 3 !!paint!! $150 a day 4 weeks in the both lets say 4 colors.. hull color black. cockpit & cabin vestal white, deck matterhorn white, griptex whisper white. labor 25k I'll do it like new

she shine's and is not worth your yard bill

step 4 refit... lets say you had good engine and drives & controles 3k to 5k to put them back in...

your panel is good but old ur boat is new so 3k wire and panel and 3k install no gen ad 15k for 110v 5k for a/c fridge and so on

8k to 15k in seating

and in like a day or two your ready for the water, but that guy sold out and the props not done and 6 months later you can think about if it was all worth it or about how one or more guys screwed you on the way but then you open her up and leave all that B/S behind you,,& hope fully it not a cloud of blue smoke behind you from that old engine...

pay some one to do it all and unless you have 100K you will quit and the yard will sell your boat..

do it all your self and you'll just be looking at a $25k yard bill and 30k in stuff & o ya a year of you life . hope you can sow.. or add 10k it's ok ur in deep now

add 10 to 20 k and u got it
Old 05-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PromoProducts-BP
Jmbtile,

Do you have some pics of your paint, cockpit & cabin, etc? That's some serious $ spent on renovations!
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/sabocigarette

and its for sale
Old 05-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by tomuchstuff
Think about what you want out of the boat that you want how long you plan to keep it and so on... restoring a 35 if you do it buy one half dead and shot may be gutted to save a buck on step #1..

step #1 brake down
crow bar and hammer work 5K if there is no power and drives with engins and drives 6 may be 7K do not skimp here you will pay later

Now your gutted and worth less stop now and u pay $10 a foot to dump it + a ride to the dump..

step 2 body work and body and "mod".. say 1978 a beat old 35 cigarette boat no "mods" 5K for you glass, puddy, core and 5k labor, to make sure the only waves are under you boat and not on it.. 3k more if you need cabin refit...

now your in primer and can take a loss if you want out say 5 k for you boat I say I'll give you 2K...

step 3 !!paint!! $150 a day 4 weeks in the both lets say 4 colors.. hull color black. cockpit & cabin vestal white, deck matterhorn white, griptex whisper white. labor 25k I'll do it like new

she shine's and is not worth your yard bill

step 4 refit... lets say you had good engine and drives & controles 3k to 5k to put them back in...

your panel is good but old ur boat is new so 3k wire and panel and 3k install no gen ad 15k for 110v 5k for a/c fridge and so on

8k to 15k in seating

and in like a day or two your ready for the water, but that guy sold out and the props not done and 6 months later you can think about if it was all worth it or about how one or more guys screwed you on the way but then you open her up and leave all that B/S behind you,,& hope fully it not a cloud of blue smoke behind you from that old engine...

pay some one to do it all and unless you have 100K you will quit and the yard will sell your boat..

do it all your self and you'll just be looking at a $25k yard bill and 30k in stuff & o ya a year of you life . hope you can sow.. or add 10k it's ok ur in deep now

add 10 to 20 k and u got it
I need this translated.....

But I think he was saying the same thing - buy one done.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by seafordguy

lol!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Registered

I have rebuilt alot of boats in my life and unless you are a person that really enjoys projects and you have a family that can enjoy the projects with you and have the patience, money,experiance and time I would say go for it!
BUT if you have never taken on a project like this, I would suggest buying a boat that has been completed, because right now you can buy boats cheap. I would look for someones misfortune, where they have put a ton of money into a boat and need quick cash! or go new!
JR
Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by seafordguy

That scared me a little but and I did not know what was going on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.