I tell ya what, the boat that that video was taken from sounds sweet
Yes the boat was nice, but the owner was a Assclown
Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 AM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
mine doesn't porpoise all the time, just when im drinking.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by WMF
well that would be all the time..ugh details.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
That's all I've ever seen the straight bottoms do
That's because 99% of the people who's boats have a porpoising problem are just over trimming the boat!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by WMF
I love my T/S Mistress it does not porpose at all!! and its alot faster then my old Mystique I have noticed all strait bottom Cigs porpose alot?
Well they need to iron that chit out. Honestly, this will be my second summer without working trim tabs. My boat has zero porpose.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Well they need to iron that chit out. Honestly, this will be my second summer without working trim tabs. My boat has zero porpose.
I dont think there is a way to get rid of the porpose in the Mystique's. My Mystique had the transome notch filled and the boat still porposed, I dont think there is a way to get rid of it on that model without using the tabs, it had no porpose at top end!!!

Last edited by WMF; 06-03-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
That's because 99% of the people who's boats have a porpoising problem are just over trimming the boat!
I'm definitely not trying to be rude, especially to you, but that's actually not the reason at all.

That's probably true for those that have owned one boat of a particular size, and haven't driven many others, because they would base their opinion on only that particular boat. That's really not even close to the reason why many of the straight bottom Cigarettes porpose according to what Craig Barrie, Neill, Bud Larow, and the guys on the factory floor that used to build them back then.

The reason is because when they started using Bravo's instead of TRS drives, they didn't change the rear bulkhead for a few years to compensate for the change in balance. They never changed it on the Cafe Racers or Bullets, because they stopped building them. They changed them on the Top Guns, but since the Mystique was a smaller boat, yet based on the Top Gun bottom, the change in balance didn't carry over.

This is also the reason that 38's with speedmaster drives like yours, typically don't have the porposing issue that some with smaller drive combos have, because the transmissions act the same as a TRS transmission, and balance the boat out correctly.

My 1992 Top Gun with TRS drives had no problem with porposing at all, but my girlfriend at the time back then, had a 1995 with Bravo's that bouched all over the place if you didn't run the tabs down to 4+, regardless of where the trim was set. The other probably 20+ straight bottom Cigarettes I've gotten to operate varied as well. I drove a friends' 1992 TRS Gun just last weekend that he recently bought, and it had no porpose issue at all.

I guess it's good to be in the 1% instead of the 99% you pointed out, but that's why some porpose and some don't, if you care at all to use it as ammo the next time you have this discussion!

It's also always good to have 6's! The size of engine sometimes helped the balance, but most of the reason was due to the imbalance of the drives to the center of gravity on the hull.

Last edited by BLee; 06-03-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

I drove a friends' 1992 TRS Gun just last weekend that he recently bought, and it had no porpose issue at all.

We tied up to him last Sunday. A VERY clean Gun for sure!!
Couldn't believe only like 175hrs or sumthin crazy like that.
Barn find for sure!!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I think I'm just lucky with mine. being a 2000 and one of if not the first bagged hull and straight to boot, makes me wonder if there is a difference, I also believe its just plain physics and knowing the boat. any boat has the ability to porpoise at any speed because you are balancing the weight on a pendulum and tabs and trim are the counterweights.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I think I'm just lucky with mine. being a 2000 and one of if not the first bagged hull and straight to boot, makes me wonder if there is a difference, I also believe its just plain physics and knowing the boat. any boat has the ability to porpoise at any speed because you are balancing the weight on a pendulum and tabs and trim are the counterweights.

The Tigers in the beginning were from the Revolution hull modded, but obviously a different cap. They all rode much smoother than the Revo's, but I even drove a TS Tiger once that had a pretty significant porpose. The props were changed to a nice Hering with a different pitch & rake, and it never porposed again.

They're all just different in setup & balance, but they can all be dialed in to ride great if someone just takes the time. Sometimes you'll get lucky & they come out perfect from the beginning, and sometimes they need to be tinkered with until it's the way the owner wants it to be. That's true with all performance boats though regarding the setup. I just spent some time dialing my Skater in a little differently recently, and it made a huuuge difference for the better as far as what I was going for. It rode fantastic before, but runs even better now

Last edited by BLee; 06-03-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.