Extension boxes on a Bullet/Cafe Racer >

Extension boxes on a Bullet/Cafe Racer

Notices

Extension boxes on a Bullet/Cafe Racer

Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Extension boxes on a Bullet/Cafe Racer

Now that this season is going to be slowing down in a month or so, I need to start thinking about a SMALL winter project. I would like to pick up 3 to 4 MPH WITHOUT adding more power to my boat. (4150 on the board is considering boxes for his 93 Cafe too.) Will extension boxes do that? I know there is a thread about adding shorties to a Bullet, but has anyone here on the board added extension boxes to a Bullet? Do we know of a Bullet with extension boxes? Anyone I can talk to with experience with this? Maybe they dont work on a Bullet, who knows? But its worth lookin into. Any info would be appriciated on the Bullet OR a Cafe Racer...thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I could be confusing boxes with shorties but I think either skramer or cig daze tried it with unimpressive results....
Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skramer tried shorties:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...ties-cafe.html

Do a search in the Cig forum. Lot's of info but I don't have time to do more searching.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the 2" shorties on my 89 Cafe and gaines speed!! But the boat didn't handle near as good in big water and thats where I have alot of fun.. Only two cafe's I know of with box's but can't remember if the boxes helped or hurt. Hp/Torque make a boat go faster. I would put your money there. Just my .02
Old 08-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can find this guy. He would have more info on the boxes on a cafe!!
Attached Thumbnails Extension boxes on a Bullet/Cafe Racer-1019940_1.jpg  
Old 08-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

What about HavasuHangin I think he has boxes with shorties, although I am not sure what kind of water he is running in. I think Skramer has got it right, power and torque = speed. I am pulling my mills this winter for a little more of both
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

The boat pictured is the Cfe from Borden Light Marine. It was the owner sons Mike. He has Bulldog HP 500 with imco boxes and drives full hydro sterring. I believe it would just do 72/73. I know the boat well saw it for many years before it went over seas. Also The Fall river Run is a week away. You CT. guys coming down???
-Mike
Old 08-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4195
What about HavasuHangin I think he has boxes with shorties, although I am not sure what kind of water he is running in.
Yes, I have shorties on my Cafe'. I boat on lakes...and in the Pacific.

The shorties picked up a couple MPH, but for me, the tradeoff is twofold:

1. Harder to hook up getting on plane. I could fix this with a cav plate, but frankly, the torque from the blower motors will be hard on the XRs, so I let them slip, and climb on plane- no worries.
2. In the rough, you gotta be a little more vigilant on the sticks- they do come out of the water a little quicker.

I have 28" Bravo 4 blades spinning out. I tried spinning them in, but it didn't seem to carry the nose as well, so spinning out is best for now. I'm going to send the props out to get them looked at in a couple weeks.

This winter, if I keep the boat, I'll probably go with boxes and 1.36 gears. The boxes will set the props a little deeper again, but hopefully this will be offset by being able to carry the nose even better.

We'll see...lol.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

HH what are you running for power and speed. Like to get a base line prop for my Cafe
-Mike
Old 08-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger
HH what are you running for power and speed. Like to get a base line prop for my Cafe
-Mike
With 750hp a side, I've put my 28" Bravo props on the limiters at 84MPH (light fuel, light chop, etc.) with 12% slip. I'm at 80MPH in almost any conditions- either HP down (bad air) or slip up (heavy or sticky water).

After I broke a crank at Desert Storm, it'll have two fresh motors in a couple weeks (that's why the boxes have had to stand in line...lol).

I think with the same HP, boxes, and 1.36 gears...I should be knocking on 88MPH. I'm tempted to bolt on more boost, but I just want to optimize my current setup first- I don't really wanna start breaking drives, unless absolutely necessary...lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.