Anyone ever cut the hook out of a 28? >

Anyone ever cut the hook out of a 28?

Notices

Anyone ever cut the hook out of a 28?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WOTW2E
Tony, barely 4600 seems WAY, WAY low. You know how the engines were built and the cam specs. Surely those small blocks can twist up more than that. I bet you're leaving 40-50 horse or more each on the table spinning them that slow. The hook is NOT helping in any way but I don't think that is the main problem either. Props dude, Props. Play with rotation as well. Spinning in (I think you said they were already) will help pull the stern down and the bow up.

The Vs that I have run did not like the design of the 25M+. There is something different in the casting of the 25 vs the 23 and the 27. It just does not seem to carry the bow as well and was more difficult to plane with. They just don't seem to bite as well for whatever reason. I am talking stock props here for the 23 and 25. The 27 was labbed.

I would HATE to have to add weight after all that work and expense to remove some of it.
Drives are currently spinning out. Sitting around wondering about all this over the winter is going to bug the **** outa me.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
Drives are currently spinning out. Sitting around wondering about all this over the winter is going to bug the **** outa me.
Sun will be shinning this weekend! I'm sure I could round up some props for you to try. Call me.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Go Big or Go Home
Platinum Member

my 28 has 7.4 mpi engines 310 hp and trs drives the back of my boat is certainly heavy. the water line is right at the molded turn in the hull. I run 27 mirage plus props and have a hard time keeping the bow down if my 30 gallon fwd tank is not full. so it seems as though you should be able to spin more than a 25 with 400 hp.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Registered

TRS drives?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 AM
4FX
Registered

Get rid of the TRS drives!! move the SBC's back and have B1's it'll be better in the long run can now also go to a big block with the added room.

Tony I went throught he same thing when I did mine. had an 81' but got it with nothing in it, other than holes.. I did the 600EFI's from AS&M which are/were 496's with Imco SC's.

Troy
Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 28 SS with Merc 425's and TRS runs great, mine will spin to read line easily.

Most of these SS's have small blocks which is probably the same weight in back as yours.

Your drives and engines are fine, work on the props, maybe add fuel in the front tank.