Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Are Older Flat Decks Selling???? >

Are Older Flat Decks Selling????

Notices

Are Older Flat Decks Selling????

Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a little video my Dad made of it right before I hade the graphics taken off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHQ7JAsNkw0
Old 12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Registered

That's the largest swim platform I have ever seen!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
That's the largest swim platform I have ever seen!
I agree I would take it off it makes the boat look ulgy. Just give it to the buyer.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

4 things I noticed:

1. HUGE swim platform.
2. 1 drive didn't completely trim to trailer in the video.
3. Are those Mobile Home axles on the trailer?
4. Gotta connect your breathers to your flame arrestor.

Sharp boat though. I would be interested in the low 20's.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I guess it depends also on what guys consider a updated older boat. Some say fresh engine rebuilds, a new stereo, and gauges are a updated boat..

My buddy Kool-Aid on here has a 1990 Top Gun. It started life as a 420/TRS boat. In the past couple years, it has had Hull stripped down, custom 90MPH paint job, blue printed hull, new dash, new gauges, new vinyl, new cabin vinyl, cabin carpet, Konrad drives, 850HP Wesco 598 supercharged motors, stellings headers, gibson mufflers, huber trannies, and lots of other little things. With a little tweaking, its a 90MPH old school Top gun. Its a beauty, and a runner. He prob has 200k in that boat. I think it would be a hard sell priced at 75k complete in this market.

I remember last winter there was a 38 Flatdeck around the midwest for sale without power. It was a SSM III boat, came complete minus engines. I think the guy was down to 15k for it, after having it listed for a while. Wanna say he started at 25k for it. Then there was "dirty baby" the 38 Flatdeck from chicago. I know the previous owner. It was listed for like 2 years. Started at like 50k, then 40k, then 25k, then it sold for not sure what after that. It was a nice boat, original, TRS, needed some TLC, but just wouldnt sell.

I wil say this though, the 38 Flatdeck cig, EATS up rough water. Put some power in them, and they are a BLAST to run..and properly restored and updated, can be one of the classiest looking old offshores of all time.
Absolutely bro! 100% on all points. Dude, I would pay $30-40-50K just for a pair of Dave W.'s Wesco mills Sterlings, Chiefs, Gellners, etc ... all would demand premium $$$$$ As would #3A drives, #3SSM, or Konrads ... Does it have Stelling exhaust?, CMI, StainlessMarine - Gen3's?? Are the trannies 72C's?, HUBER's 1200s/1500s, BAM modified??? Or are they just stock BM 71C's? good for 300-350hp?

My buddy Dean has well over $150K into his Mistress w/ Konrads, Bobby Wallace - Offshore Performance NA 540's, redone interior, sunpad, gauges, etc etc. Would I ever expect him to sell for low $20's absolutely not

We all know 'value' when we look at and price these boats and, obviously, pay accordingly. We were NOT talking about some other flatdecks mentioned in this thread, or my 'friend's other' boat. We were referring to the boat in this thread ... the one w/454s & TRS drives (which by the way I, agree, and think are bullet as proof as well doesn't mean they bring any value to the deal. They don't, they discount it! FACT) and that hideous Mc D's interior that would immediately need replacing

Justin - Love your rig as well!!!

So the question again, which still hasn't been answered after his comments ... flatdeck38 - WHAT WOULD PAY FOR THIS BOAT - TODAY??
Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I looked at a similar boat when the market was good... same power, except it had just been repainted white Awlgrip or Imron (can't remember which). it was pure white, cig logos. Interior was all white, with red accents.

Very sharp boat. Very clean.

It sold under $40k in good times... and it took a long while and was darn near perfect and applied to the widest audience with the color scheme.

The biggest issue with these older big boats is they cost so much to simply keep. You need a big truck or at least have to live on the water or pay for an expensive slip. It is exponentially more to keep around than a smaller boat so the selling value gets killed because the people with the kind of dough to keep these boats generally want something newer.

I was recently looking at a Formula 419 SR1 from the early 90's, triple HP500's, loaded out with Gen and A/C sitting on a trailer and stored inside... for the low 20's. I wanted the boat but couldn't do it because it would require a new truck, better storage, etc.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TOASTY
you prob went in the right direction
Yeah Chris ... I think my compass may need adjusting or replacing, cuz the direction is a bit off!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
I looked at a similar boat when the market was good... same power, except it had just been repainted white Awlgrip or Imron (can't remember which). it was pure white, cig logos. Interior was all white, with red accents.

Very sharp boat. Very clean.

It sold under $40k in good times... and it took a long while and was darn near perfect and applied to the widest audience with the color scheme.

The biggest issue with these older big boats is they cost so much to simply keep. You need a big truck or at least have to live on the water or pay for an expensive slip. It is exponentially more to keep around than a smaller boat so the selling value gets killed because the people with the kind of dough to keep these boats generally want something newer.

I was recently looking at a Formula 419 SR1 from the early 90's, triple HP500's, loaded out with Gen and A/C sitting on a trailer and stored inside... for the low 20's. I wanted the boat but couldn't do it because it would require a new truck, better storage, etc.
+1. Hard/smaller market. The boat is attractive to us younger guys at $30-40K, but when you add up the bigger truck, storage, hard to get insurance, hard to get financing. It becomes harder to buy.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
+1. Hard/smaller market. The boat is attractive to us younger guys at $30-40K, but when you add up the bigger truck, storage, hard to get insurance, hard to get financing. It becomes harder to buy.
I dont think so I think it would make someone a real nice boat. Big Money Name Nice price. You pay low 20s if you want to resell it. I think mid thirty is a good price.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

1988 28 apache vs 1985 38 Flat Deck.
Similar $ to buy, similar fuel, maybe a bit more insurance, about $1000 more for storage(by me).
No towing, no truck, no trailer(for me).
38 will be a bit harder to handle around the dock by myself, just more space to cover, and a little longer to clean.
This is figuring same HP and drives.
38 will of course be slower, and ride better.

Last edited by Stormrider; 12-09-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.