SSM V on a Cafe` ? >

SSM V on a Cafe` ?

Notices

SSM V on a Cafe` ?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSM V on a Cafe` ?

Anyone tried ssm V on a Cafe`?. I`m running trs now, but thinking of ssm V instead.I can buy a pair of them from a friend of mine.Engines are 502 mpi with prochargers. What do you guys think??
Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts
Smile

Transom will need to be glassed, quite a bit of work. Trs drives are capable of handling 650 HP. Not to mention you could pick up spare TRS drives pretty cheap. SSM V are great drives and it will bring up your conservative x dimension which may allow you to pick up a couple miles an hour. But this is not a little project, major work and then the cost of props and dialing it in. Just some thoughts, I am sure other will chime in. Good Luck
Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've rigged my Mistress with SSM V's on extension boxes. I'm running 3" spacers to start off. If it planes out okay and prop slip numbers are okay, I'll take some spacer out. Engines are going in next month.

The boat had SSMIII's to start with, so no glass work was required.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I was talking to member 'Offshoreracr' last night. He said they built 5 boats or so with SSMIIIs. I'm not sure about Vs.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm refurbing a '91 Carbon Cafe (#106 if I read the HID right). Replaced TRS's with V's and 12" extension boxes. Running reworked Tyler Crockett motors dyno'ed @ little over 550HP@5600. My biggest concern is how it will (or won't) come up on plane. Prop will be approx 3 feet beyond transom so that should help. Should have it in the water this May for dial-in. Will let you know. Anybody out there have prop suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

We got III's on ours and they work great. We broke them last year and was hunting some V's but couldn't find any. Went back with some III's again.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RebarBox
We got III's on ours and they work great. We broke them last year and was hunting some V's but couldn't find any. Went back with some III's again.
Interested in a fresh set of 1.50:1 ratio, #4's, with zero hours, new net forged straight cut upper gears, all new bearings and 26 spline propshafts? Randy @ Marine Drives just finished them. $14K for the pair plus freight.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RMPRam
Interested in a fresh set of 1.50:1 ratio, #4's, with zero hours, new net forged straight cut upper gears, all new bearings and 26 spline propshafts? Randy @ Marine Drives just finished them. $14K for the pair plus freight.
I think I'm good right now, but thank you.