90 platinum tg 38 >

90 platinum tg 38

Notices

90 platinum tg 38

Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 2,971 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by rumrunner29
Interesting information so far. At what speed does a flat bottom gun become a handful to drive? I'm sure setup is a big part for sure. I remember someone saying the yellow gun that was on national's website was a handful to drive above 100, but it was a step hull.
Let's just put it this way...I don't think you could get a flat bottom, full cabin gun fast enough to be a handful!!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcelano
My calculation routine shows for a typical straight bottom hull at 11,500 lb all-up weight, and a typical #5 drive setup with wet sump transmissions, you should reach 100 mph with just over 1000 hp/side, 105 mph at around 1150 hp, and 110 mph at about 1255 hp/side.

There are a lot of variables, but that should be close.
You calculations, well at least what I've seen with Arnesons on these non stepped TG's, is off.

840hp Kurt's Marine motors will put one in the 105 range.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1000 hp, konrad drives, 102 mph in 3 footers. you wont find a better ride at that speed in those waves on any other boat. you don't feed unsafe in that boat for one min.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

So I'm the spoil sort, why would someone do this 20 years later ?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rik
You calculations, well at least what I've seen with Arnesons on these non stepped TG's, is off.

840hp Kurt's Marine motors will put one in the 105 range.
Rik,

No doubt the Arneson setup will run faster with less power. The V's have to be sucking 60-70 hp or more just in rolling resistance when wound up high enough to achieve these speeds. Even with V's these boats will still be dragging gearcase too. My routine is showing 992 lb of drag per gearcase at 100 mph (set 3" below hull bottom). If I change the paramters for an Arneson setup, I'll probably see close what you are saying.

Did you do anything special to get bow lift your rigs, or do they go okay out of the box?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cig92
1000 hp, konrad drives, 102 mph in 3 footers. you wont find a better ride at that speed in those waves on any other boat. you don't feed unsafe in that boat for one min.
What props are you using?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cig92
From the few rigs I've checked, this one runs right on the predictions. The Konrads seem to consume a little less power than the SSM V's.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rumrunner29
Interesting information so far. At what speed does a flat bottom gun become a handful to drive?

I'm sure setup is a big part for sure. I remember someone saying the yellow gun that was on national's website was a handful to drive above 100, but it was a step hull.
Before you confuse yourself, & anyone else trying to learn about these boats in this thread, it's better if you don't try to compare the TS Cigarettes to the non-step Cigarettes. There's no comparison between the two hulls, so their characteristics are totally different from one another.

Non-step Top Guns run better & better, with more & more power. The non-step Guns I've been in with big power & drives, all ran MUCH smoother than the ones with small power & bravo or TRS drives. I haven't been in a non-step at any speed that felt like the boat was becoming a handful, and I've been in a few with 1000+hp & 6's. They're too big & heavy to "lighten up" enough to get out of control, unless the operator is REAL stupid.

You will not be able to put enough power in a non-step to make it fast enough to become unstable. It would take substantial power to make one even kind of fast, so you're safe putting as much as 1200hp in if you wanted to. The more power you have in a non-step, the better the boat will ride.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Good post B.

When I first got my 88 kevlar Top Gun, it had 1240HP X 2, huber 1450's and wet sump #6 drives. It ran 112 mph. I believe that there has been no other side by side TG's that have run faster than 108mph or so. Bill Proctors staggered 90mph TG ran in the 114-115 range with Cobra 1200's.

How did it run @ 112mph? Extremely stable.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Blee, I really wasn't as confused as a sounded like, sorry. I know that step guns are very different from their flat bottom brothers ( all step boats for that matter) I learned that when I had the chance to drive my friends 35 fountain. I just wanted to know if you can overpower a flat gun. Thank you, that's the best explanation I have heard. I am curious though, you said that big power guns are smoother than small power bravo or trs boats. How does the ride and attitude compare between the trs/bravo boats and bigger power SSM boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.