Arneson's on 1994 Top Gun >

Arneson's on 1994 Top Gun

Notices

Arneson's on 1994 Top Gun

Old 04-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
?? A stagger is a stagger and both can have the same propellershaft centerline so there is no difference in that respect.

The choice comes down to the amount of power the application has, nothing more nothing less.

And the new ASD8 drives are not angled either.
Rik,
If both are both side by side engine configurations and one can be angled in together towards the center and the other can't, you dont feel there's a performance advantage there???

BTW, I was not aware the new ASD8's couldn't be angled. Why the change?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

First thanks for the comments.

The Arnesons do run well on the boat. It comes down to putting the right props on. With today's modern props the Arnesons are better choice than they were years ago.

Arneson drives take very little horsepower to drive and they don't break.

On the ASD8 vs ASD7 debate, I believe the ASD8s are much heavier and the installation is more complicated. Rik has done a great job of packaging the bravo conversion unit.

Service and support from Arneson and Twin Disk is far above what I normally see in the marine industry.

Last edited by kvogt; 04-06-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure a lot of you have seen the Youtube video of the Yellow Cigarette Top Gun from Russia with Arnesons. It took about 20 seconds for them to get on plane. Is that a characteristic for the Arnesons or do those Russians don't know how to drive?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

I have to put my drives down, but my boat pops right up with very little prop slip.

Kris Vogt
Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kvogt
I have to put my drives down, but my boat pops right up with very little prop slip.

Kris Vogt
Any videoof yours running?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanDisturbance
I am sure a lot of you have seen the Youtube video of the Yellow Cigarette Top Gun from Russia with Arnesons. It took about 20 seconds for them to get on plane. Is that a characteristic for the Arnesons or do those Russians don't know how to drive?
I believe they had just got the boat in the water and they should have bumped the rpm up just a bit more to get the cleavers to hook up and they would have been on their way.

They go the hang of it pretty fast as they were very happy with the results of the conversion.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
Rik,
If both are both side by side engine configurations and one can be angled in together towards the center and the other can't, you dont feel there's a performance advantage there???

BTW, I was not aware the new ASD8's couldn't be angled. Why the change?
Yes, on the older Arnesons one could mount the engines on a side by side configuration and have a stagger propeller shaft center line such as the way Kris did his boat.

Is this better? Is this worst? A little bit of both as most boats that are setup as a stagger are 100 mph + boats. A boat that runs in the 60-80 mph range will not gain anything from this and "might" actually suffer in certain areas such as docking and slow speed handling.

A boat with actually staggered engines has a lower center of gravity and there is no benefit of having the larger drop box on the boat then as there has to be space for the propellers and the centerline can only be so close before damage to the propellers occurs.

So if the boat is a stagger engine boat, the propellers will be on the same centerline distance for the Arneson #7, and #8 as they are for the Mercury drives.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drpete3
Any videoof yours running?

I don't have any video. You gotta wait til this summer.

Kris
Old 04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kvogt
I don't have any video. You gotta wait til this summer.

Kris
What power is in the boat and what speeds are you expecting?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kreed
What power is in the boat and what speeds are you expecting?

Before I took it apart to re-do, I had 800s and it would do 90mph. After the re-do I'm looking to do 100mph. The boat is now lighter, has the bottom straightened, motors have different heads, and has bigger exhaust.

Kris Vogt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.