Why isn't this boat sold?

Notices

Why isn't this boat sold?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
one saying immediately comes to mind." You can pay now or you can pay later, but you will pay".
Now that right there sums it all up.

Carry on with the lowballs and they will end up with one that cost MORE later!
The ones that Have to sell probably have not kept up on all the little stuff.
In the mean time some of us are out there Rockin !!
While others are pizzin and moanin on a web site cause some sellers wont come down 10K.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
It's really not uncommon these days for boats to go for about 2/3 of their asking price.
Maybe so for your garden-variety used up boat. But, it would be very hard to replace a boat of this caliber for the same kind of money. And, I do think that if this boat was in Phil's showroom, it would be gone by now. Like most of these boats, they must be seen in person to be truly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 282 Likes on 136 Posts

Totally agree with the replacement statement, but sometimes people aren't replacing with anything so just getting rid of the thing comes into play when you start adding up the cost of just keeping it around with marina, storage, insurance, DEPRECIATION, etc....I know plenty of people that got offers a year or two ago for more than theirr current asking price, and now they're kicking themselves. General rule of thumb in the aircraft industry if you really want to get something gone is list it with a strong asking price and every month cut the price 10% until it sells

Last edited by 302Sport; 09-29-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

[General rule of thumb in the aircraft industry if you really want to get something gone is list it with a strong asking price and every month cut the price 10% until it sells[/QUOTE]

That's how we moved two homes in 2008.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Totally agree with the replacement statement, but sometimes people aren't replacing with anything so just getting rid of the thing comes into play when you start adding up the cost of just keeping it around with marina, storage, insurance, DEPRECIATION, etc....I know plenty of people that got offers a year or two ago for more than theirr current asking price, and now they're kicking themselves. General rule of thumb in the aircraft industry if you really want to get something gone is list it with a strong asking price and every month cut the price 10% until it sells
Smart man ^^^^

I know we all want to think our boats are worth $XXXXXX dollars...but this is a different world now. It's hard enough to find a buyer that actually has the cash to buy a Toy like these boats we all love...even harder to find one that will let go of that amount of cash for a boat that isn't EXACTLY what they would have had built or bought new. Add to that that those that do have the cash (and will spend it on a boat) will most likely spend a little more and buy something new or newer instead of a 9 year old boat.

To add insult to injury, time is the enemy on any boat, the value is reduced each and every day, (tick tock, tick, tock)...not to mention the real costs of keeping it as mentioned above...AND heaven forbid the next time you fire it up one of the engines blows up....or on the next splash a drive breaks.

IMHO, even more of an issue is any boat that sits for sale for almost a year (even worse if longer) puts a doubt in buyers minds...."Why hasn't this sold?, Am I the only one that thinks this boat is worth it?..This looks like a great deal to me, is something wrong with it and this is why it hasn't sold yet? "..... and on and on.

Bottom line, if you need or want to sell, then sell it...if you don't then use it and enjoy it....but if it has been for sale for many months, or even a year or more....it's obvious WHY it hasn't sold....it is worth less to others than you think it is.

Funny about the earlier comment:

"You can pay now or you can pay later, but you will pay".....

Let me fix that for you... "You can pay now or you can pay later, but you will pay LESS if you wait... and I will have spent all that money keeping it maintained, insured, stored and paying those dang property taxes as it slowly deteriorates and becomes less valuable each day".

Wish I had learned that lesson when I sold my last house. Had a fair offer I turned down before I even moved, but I thought it was worth more. 8 months AFTER I moved and had to spend $20K on it painting it, putting in new carpet, landscaping, etc... PLUS all the double monthly payments (already bought another house)....it finally sold...for $25K LESS than that first fair offer...dumb, da, dumb, dumb!!!

Some times the truth feels good, sometimes it hurts.., sorry and welcome to the new world economy...grrrrrrr!!!

OH, of course there is always the "wife" factor...I have many friends that list their toys for a price that they know no one will pay, just so they can say to the wife "See honey, I have it listed for sale"....sometimes just this alone makes for a happier household :-)

At the end of the day, no mater how special anyone thinks this, or any boat is, it is only worth what someone else WILL actually pay for it (not just say they will).....and this boat is still for sale....hmmm.

Disclaimer, I am not "picking" on this particular boat/owner, just making comments in general about boat selling prices and the perceived value of used boats in this day and time.

Dave
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my take but...I think there are a bunch of factors. Not knowing either boat or wanting to get into a Lipship-non Lipship debate. Take a look at this boat
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o42101-en.html
Before it went to MO it was a freshwater boat in NY and pretty sure it has been mostly FW since. Has larger cabin (could be pro or con) has better hatch and color in my opinion but not all the Lipship appointments and doesn't have the Windscreen. 575's vs 525--again pros and cons depends what you want to do. I am not sure on cleanliness which could be a big factor but to counter you are starting 10k lower and it is with a dealer that might be more willing to take a trade. Not saying one boat is better than the other because it depends but both seem like GREAT examples (both show as 2002's on financing with similar hours) I would be curious to see which goes first but that 10k difference is something that just kinda sticks out. Make it a no bariner comparison with like (or as close to like as possible) boats on the market and it should sell

Last edited by cuposterchild; 09-29-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

78CIG24... you nailed it!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Smart man ^^^^

Funny about the earlier comment:

"You can pay now or you can pay later, but you will pay".....

Let me fix that for you... "You can pay now or you can pay later, but you will pay LESS if you wait... Dave
Or, like alot of low ball strokers , you can and usually do end up without a boat.

Bottom line? You can't steal everything.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pm203
Or, like alot of low ball strokers , you can and usually do end up without a boat.

Bottom line? You can't steal everything.
I always liked the term "Bottomfeeders"......
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 282 Likes on 136 Posts

Ok we can fight all we want but the simple answer to the original post is that the boat has not sold because the guy does not really want or need to sell that bad and the market won't provide a buyer at that price. If he wanted to sell that bad the price would be getting dropped until it sold. That's the simple reason it hasn't sold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.