Top Gun/Whipple question >

Top Gun/Whipple question

Notices

Top Gun/Whipple question

Old 07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonmd2
Didn't your mother ever teach you if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all???

Seriously! I would love the newer style that bumps up in the middle but I don't imagine their easy to come by and if I did find one I can't imagine it would be cheap...and by cheap I mean free because at this point I'm so broke it's not even funny
Back in the day I was quoted $10K for the new style hatch
Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the new style Hatch!!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by frickstyle
I agree, new hatch required!
Originally Posted by Von Bongo
Back in the day I was quoted $10K for the new style hatch
Originally Posted by mmb
Get the new style Hatch!!
Guys the question wasn't whether or not to get a new hatch

Believe me, if I had the money I would be getting the new style hatch, I love that look!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a suggestion...

Does it make sense to mock up the mounts in the boat...take a measurement to your perceived location of the closed hatch....transfer those numbers to the engines on the stand and compare? Is there some point that you can lay a straight edge across the bilge where the hatch will reach it's lowest point?

Seems do-able...but your the one with eyes on it.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
As a suggestion...

Does it make sense to mock up the mounts in the boat...take a measurement to your perceived location of the closed hatch....transfer those numbers to the engines on the stand and compare? Is there some point that you can lay a straight edge across the bilge where the hatch will reach it's lowest point?

John I can do that, sort of. I have the blowers off the motors again to deal with the Whipple fitment issue and won't have them back on til the end of the week at best.

I'll be down at the boat tomorrow and will take a measurement with a straight edge across the engine bay from where I assume the hatch sits and then down to the top bolt hole of the motor mounts. Then when I get the blowers back on I can measure from the top bolt hole in the mounts on the engine to the top of the blower and hope for the best!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
As a suggestion...

Mine were a very tight fit. I took all the measurements from the engine in profile, and made a big cardboard template that went from transmission output flange to blower pulley to oil pan to throttle body. With the hatch off the boat, I used the hatch hinges as a reference point, positioned the template in the boat, and then took it to the hatch on sawhorses.

I went as far as shooting in my new angles mounts before taking delivery of the engines.

Cost: $0, knowing they will fit, priceless...
Old 07-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

You are going to need this. I still have it, make me an offer.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d-blowers.html

Just take your hatch, add this pad and scoops if you want. Brand new Carbon Fiber Vinyl. Fits on straight flat hatch. Was on a Transmission Boat. Let me know. Scoops and just bolt on to exisiting fiberglass hatch, cut openings and ad this top
Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I added scoops on mine for the blowers, cost was not bad, labor sanding and filling the inside of the scoops was the worst. Scoops were 350, paint, glass, resin, etc, was 125. New mirrorplex was 260. Can be done in a few days.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcelano
Mine were a very tight fit. I took all the measurements from the engine in profile, and made a big cardboard template that went from transmission output flange to blower pulley to oil pan to throttle body. With the hatch off the boat, I used the hatch hinges as a reference point, positioned the template in the boat, and then took it to the hatch on sawhorses.

I went as far as shooting in my new angles mounts before taking delivery of the engines.

Cost: $0, knowing they will fit, priceless...
tcelano what engines are you running? Are you running Whipple's or other blowers?

Originally Posted by cigrocket
You are going to need this. I still have it, make me an offer.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d-blowers.html

Just take your hatch, add this pad and scoops if you want. Brand new Carbon Fiber Vinyl. Fits on straight flat hatch. Was on a Transmission Boat. Let me know. Scoops and just bolt on to exisiting fiberglass hatch, cut openings and ad this top
cigrocket thanks for the offer and I'll keep it in mind. I'm hoping that I won't need to add scoops though...

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
I added scoops on mine for the blowers, cost was not bad, labor sanding and filling the inside of the scoops was the worst. Scoops were 350, paint, glass, resin, etc, was 125. New mirrorplex was 260. Can be done in a few days.
Jim thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind too...

I am still hoping, and have been told by a couple reputable sources, that they will fit under the stock hatch. It seems like it will be close but I think it might fit. I hope so because I really don't want to add scoops, I want to keep the OEM look and retain the full sunpad for the girls
Old 07-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Joe
Platinum Member

Jason I'm putting the same motors with stage 2 intercoolers, mine are bravo set ups in my Mystique, i had 500 efis and that whipple set up isnt much taller than that, i should have 1" or 2" of room...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.