Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
What is it about a cig? >

What is it about a cig?

Notices

What is it about a cig?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree that OL is a fantastic boat, I am a big big fan of what they are doing....but I am doubtful you will ever see 50%+ of used boats that aren't Outerlimits advertised as "Outerlimits" with Outerlimits decals on the side....like with all the used "Cigarettes" advertised that aren't Cigarettes.

You can't buy, or build, 40+ years of Heritage and Owner Loyalty....it will be interesting to see if 20, 30, or even 40 years from now what brands will still be around...I for sure will take the bet that Cigarette will be one of them...wouldn't take that bet on any other brand.

"There can be only one(#1)"...

Dave
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DucBoy
I recently left the ranks of Cigarette owners and, while I loved my Cig for what it was, I am absolutely thrilled with my new (to me) OL. Someone equated Cigarette to Ferrari. As a Ferrari owner, I would say the comparison is more fairly to HD, and the relationship of my Old Cig to my new OL would be comparable to a HD to a Ducati. Cig has a great history and has done a fantastic job of capitalizing on its brand such that anyone should be proud to own one; that being said, there are other, lesser known makes out there that have made some performance innovations that are very attractive. My $0.02.
All good points, but the thread that was started was, "what is it about a Cigarette?".....N O T..... "Lets comare Cigarette to every other brand........again! "
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently left the ranks of Cigarette owners and, while I loved my Cig for what it was, I am absolutely thrilled with my new (to me) OL. Someone equated Cigarette to Ferrari. As a Ferrari owner, I would say the comparison is more fairly to HD, and the relationship of my Old Cig to my new OL would be comparable to a HD to a Ducati. Cig has a great history and has done a fantastic job of capitalizing on its brand such that anyone should be proud to own one; that being said, there are other, lesser known makes out there that have made some performance innovations that are very attractive. My $0.02.
It's quite a stretch to compare an 80's designed 35 to a 2000's designed 42. They are in totally different price points, technology points, etc.

Cigarette has the look and also the consistency. The boats I grew up drooling over at the boat show can be had in a modernized form. Other brands have evolved a lot more with their design so you have to fall in love with something new Vs. sticking to what you have loved for decades.

The one place I think Cig is blowing it though... no small boats at a semi-reasonable price. Even though expensive for their size guys could get into a 20, 30, 35 and grow into the brand. Now the smallest boat they build is the 38 which requires not only a much bigger boat cost, but bigger storage, towing, maintenance, etc. costs.

If they stick to this path... over the next couple of decades another brand will be the new #1
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
The one place I think Cig is blowing it though... no small boats at a semi-reasonable price. Even though expensive for their size guys could get into a 20, 30, 35 and grow into the brand. Now the smallest boat they build is the 38 which requires not only a much bigger boat cost, but bigger storage, towing, maintenance, etc. costs.
Agree 100%.... IMHO they should come out with a "Classic Line", a basic no frills Single 28 (preferably a sit-down, think "28 Glad") with only what you need, but still with CIG style/quality and it would be a Home Run. In today's economy it could even stimulate new boat sales...and as you said, breed new Cig owners that may step up to larger CIG boats latter. Besides, not every one needs to "compensate" with all the long ass boats...J/K :-)

Seriously, there are a LOT of inland lake guys that would jump on a mid-sized CIG for inland stuff, yet still have offshore capabilities for the occasional coastal trips. In the majority of the lakes I like to frequent you couldn't even make a U-turn at speed with a 38+ in most places on those lakes,...it would be like making a U-turn with an F-650 w/50' trailer on a 2 lane road..LOL

Dave
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

for me its the classic look...amazing rids and quality build... I been on many cigs and love the way they ride especially on Lake Erie and j bonz said and.oisted my video... the mistress itself is extremely strong and heavy...as a result mine does 63 so far as a best... BUT in any water up to 5-8footers so far that I have ran her in... not one time was I saying ouch on that ride... if I was in my 32 Baja I always was feeling it all.. I love my cig and the classic look she has...ifs like having a 68 Shelby..... always turns heads

when LE starts crankin next month as we head into fall i am sure I will have more videos......
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Small boats is not Cigarette's Market. I think Cigarette is doing just fine without building lakeboats. Many companies build lakeboats with success. Cigarette wants to build top end products that stand alone.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
the mistress itself is extremely strong and heavy...as a result mine does 63 so far as a best... BUT in any water up to 5-8footers so far that I have ran her in...
your running 63 in 5-8 footers???really???
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Agree that OL is a fantastic boat, I am a big big fan of what they are doing....but I am doubtful you will ever see 50%+ of used boats that aren't Outerlimits advertised as "Outerlimits" with Outerlimits decals on the side....like with all the used "Cigarettes" advertised that aren't Cigarettes.

You can't buy, or build, 40+ years of Heritage and Owner Loyalty....it will be interesting to see if 20, 30, or even 40 years from now what brands will still be around...I for sure will take the bet that Cigarette will be one of them...wouldn't take that bet on any other brand.

"There can be only one(#1)"...

Dave
Completely agree, and wasn't trying to compare hull to hull(even thought they are 10 years apart). Cigarette has done a great job on protecting and promoting its brand - but I think that, if people were honest with themselves and had $600,000 burning a hole in their pocket for a new go fast, I don't know that the end result would be a new Cig in the garage.

Last edited by DucBoy; 07-27-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Small boats is not Cigarette's Market. I think Cigarette is doing just fine without building lakeboats. Many companies build lakeboats with success. Cigarette wants to build top end products that stand alone.
I wasn't talking about "lakeboats"...unless you consider this a "lakeboat"... :-)

But I understand what you are saying.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 07-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Registered

Completely agree, and wasn't trying to compare hull to hull(even thought they are 10 years apart). Cigarette has done a great job on protecting and promoting its brand - but I think that, if people were honest with themselves and had $600,000 burning a hole in their pocket for a new go fast, I don't know that the end result would be a new Cig in the garange.
Agree 100% also, honestly if I were going to buy a new boat... the OL 28SV would be at the top of the list for my purposes......and then put the other half of the 600K in a Fuel Trust fund. :-) ... OR, beg CIG to build me a "28 Gladiator"...but that would probably blow the whole 600K+ to get them to do that for me.. :-(

Cheers,

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.