Notices

Towing With Cockpit Cover

Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Www.dr-shrink.com

I prefer the hull preservation tape. It's designed to stick shrink wrap to the boat. Shrink wrap tape is designed to stick shrink wrap to shrink wrap.

Don't put it on until right before you leave. Do not leave it on any longer than needed, and make sure the surface is freshly waxed. Use this to secure the cover to the boat along the front and down the leading edge of the sides. It will not stick to a wet cover, so if it looks like rain, pull over and install the cover before it gets wet.

Lin's method of protecting the boat with blue painters tape works well too on contact points. I know I have seen it in 3" wide, and you can probably find it online in 4".

Use a thick white towel on the tops of the bolsters, headrests and back of the subpad, and double up the towel where a seam will touch the vinyl, usually at the very center of the cover where it meets the subpad.

Lastly, pick up some of the foam pipe insulation from Home Depot or Lowes. Completely remove the adhesive from the split seam, and out the pipe foam over the top your windscreen, letting it hang over each end by a couple inches. (The adhesive pulls right off, you don't want or need it on there.) This will percent the cover from chaffing, tugging, and perhaps crazing the plexiglass or whatever material.
I have to agree with Brian's recomendation, there is no way I would trailer a boat that distance without the cover on. I always have mine on, even going 25 miles to Lake Michigan on a regular basis. I was sitting next to a guy today at lunch who is bringing his 42' with 1350's down for the run, sounds like a great time! By the way, love the colors on your boat!
Steve
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't need the cover on DON'T PUT IT ON. On a long haul I would use shrink wrap tape to keep it down. Works great and will not hurt anything.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

We tow across country with just the cover but put some tape across the front
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

All my boats I make sure have the DOT turnbuckles across the front of the cockpit cover. This prevents the wind from unsnapping the front and blowing it free. I also like the bungees in the back. It makes it easier to cover but also lets the back expel air that gets forced under the cover better.

Long distance I have a full cover I put on
Attached Thumbnails Towing With Cockpit Cover-zr-deck-2.jpg   Towing With Cockpit Cover-251204_2096575178018_1354514777_2531903_8058142_n.jpg   Towing With Cockpit Cover-img00140-20100222-1030.jpg  

Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the 4 inch painters tape on the front and I cover the vents to the engine room. As previously stated, put towels over the bolsters.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom does the Duck go on Road trip with the boat ? and if so, what straps do you use to keep the duck and the drive without falling off ?????,
Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Www.dr-shrink.com

I prefer the hull preservation tape. It's designed to stick shrink wrap to the boat. Shrink wrap tape is designed to stick shrink wrap to shrink wrap.

Don't put it on until right before you leave. Do not leave it on any longer than needed, and make sure the surface is freshly waxed. Use this to secure the cover to the boat along the front and down the leading edge of the sides. It will not stick to a wet cover, so if it looks like rain, pull over and install the cover before it gets wet.

Lin's method of protecting the boat with blue painters tape works well too on contact points. I know I have seen it in 3" wide, and you can probably find it online in 4".

Use a thick white towel on the tops of the bolsters, headrests and back of the sunpad, and double up the towel where a seam will touch the vinyl; usually at the very center of the cover where it meets the subpad.

Lastly, pick up some of the foam pipe insulation from Home Depot or Lowes. Completely remove the adhesive from the split seam, and out the pipe foam over the top your windscreen, letting it hang over each end by a couple inches. (The adhesive pulls right off, you don't want or need it on there.) This will percent the cover from chaffing, tugging, and perhaps crazing the plexiglass or whatever material.
Great advice, thanks Sydwayz
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Ven
Tom does the Duck go on Road trip with the boat ? and if so, what straps do you use to keep the duck and the drive without falling off ?????,
I use "Duck" tape of course!

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I bet the Duck never fell off yet ???