Old 05-27-2017, 09:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice, worthy project, following...
Old 05-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will keep posting updates and photos, Tank, Rhythm.. I had nothing to work with JD knows that, so it took a bit of gathering. As the boat was configured for SSM drives, I had a chance at a pair of 26 spline #3's at a fair price. But the possibility of dealing with propellers and repairs made me think again. I already had a good complete set of TRS's from a Cafe that were complete right up to the flywheels. I want to mention that while I was measuring the X to convert the transom back to TRS, I realized that the cutouts for the SSM's had a hard sway to the starboard side. I might have not noticed this right away if I had gone ahead with those #3's I was looking at. I measured and measured again to be sure. I was able to see and measure the location of the original TRS drives that were on the boat. They were mounted on a 17.5 inch X. After reading much conversation on OSO I decided that since I had to modify the transom anyway that I would raise the X to 19.5 inches. We shall see how this works out. I had to make a TRS drill fixture which work out really well. I found a TRS alignment disk on ebay. The transom assemblies are on the boat now and I have an empty engine block mounted with the trans so I could install and align the engine mounting plates. I am using Gil manifolds and lower profile Gil full length dry risers. The engines of course will be 2 inches higher than original. Even with the lower profile Gil risers the risers will be above original engine hatch height. Wanted to get everything located before I repainted the transom. With some riser wedges I will be able the use the current exhaust cut outs again. Happy for little things. I have Mayfair external steering complete to the helm mins the TRS steering mount plates. Be looking and nothing usable yet. I do have one Latham TRS mount and one Mercury TRS external steering mount. In the end the mounts look rather simple after looking at dozens of photos. I will probably make the plates.

JD I am laughing when you mention Frank and the condition on the boat.. The transom gasket is the best part. It has been removed now. If you think of anymore that would help me locate those Hatches that would be great. I t would certainly take a lot less time for me to drive and pick them up, then to fab some new ones. All of this has for sure brightened up my day.

More later with photos for sure
Old 05-28-2017, 10:33 AM
Registered

Ok here we go. When I purchased this boat I was so excited about the aspect of taking possession of it that I failed to notice that it was cut out for SSM's instead of TRS. Had I realized this I might have reconsidered. I was in the process of rasing the transom from 20 to 25 inches on my 1980 25 mako. I had removed the whole back of the boat. I never took on a project quite this large. Now I was faced with the Cigarette cut out for SSM's and I had TRS's. Wow. I have to say It took some imagination. I have crossed many hurtles right up to where I am now with the exhaust. Never Give Up! I have had a lot of support from some local boys around here that have a couple of warehouses full of Mercruiser parts. Many Thanks to Hank of Palm Beach Marine, and Bill who's shop is buried back in the warehouses close to Fort Lauderdale Airport. Here are some of the photos I have taken with my phone camera along the way. For now I am just fitting all the major components, then start the cleanup and paint. Engines are actually the easy part for me, but that is a ways off for now.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]567775[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567776[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567777[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567778[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567779[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567780[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567781[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567782[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567783[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567784[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 38' Flatdeck?-20170114_144455.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-20170122_130753.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-20170122_141053.jpg  

38' Flatdeck?-20170122_141058.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-20170122_141123.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-20170122_142118.jpg  

38' Flatdeck?-20170506_204353.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-20170512_100459.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-20170512_101142.jpg  

38' Flatdeck?-20170515_101751.jpg  
Old 05-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Check around the exhaust holes. Iirc there were some goofy repairs done previous to me owning it that weren't quite right. I'll look through and see if I can locate some of the parts I pulled off. I have the water pickup, may have engine mounts,
Old 05-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Registered

Just looked better at the pics you have mounts..
Old 05-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Registered

Thank You JD! Your friendship is welcome along with the others that are reviewing and replying to these posts. You know its just like you are thinking, the little things like brackets and mounts. I do not believe this project would be possible without the internet, ebay, and craigslist. I do not have the funds to make this boat as fast as many discussed in the forums, but as in the tradition of classic cars, I will try to go more in that direction. I have located lots brackets and hardware to assemble the TRS 400/420 configuration, of course the engines will have a little more than that The water pickup you mentioned, I did manage to locate 1 and 1 only on ebay, it was brand new. I like the design very much. Thank You for the offer. That rear seat you mentioned? and if you think of anymore info to help find the engine compartment hatches.

I am going to post a few photos of items that I have and am looking for one more of each. A Mercury Racing Trim Pump like the one in the photo (I have 3 already, need 1 more) and TRS external steering mounts. The Latham mount is #2150 and the Mercruiser mount is #85323
Also I attached a photo I found of what the engine compartment looked like in this boat at one time. The engine compartment opening was different at that time. [ATTACH=CONFIG]567790[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567791[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567792[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567793[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567794[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567795[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 38' Flatdeck?-380561620206_0_bg.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-p5292013.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-p5292009.jpg  

38' Flatdeck?-p5292014.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-p5292015.jpg   38' Flatdeck?-p5292016.jpg  

Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nomoon
Thanks jd.

The missing hatches have been on my mind since I bought the boat. The person I bought it from said he got rid of them. I pulled up an old Google earth image of the lot where the boat had been sitting and believe I could see one hatch on the boat at that time. The hatches you are referring to are the original ones? The hatch opening on this boat has been cut out a lot. No where close to original configuration. No great ideas here yet. I did make some hinged temporary ones for now.

I am returning the boat to TRS for now. I have some BAM redone C72's for the boat as well. I raised the X to 19.5 in. The engine sit quite high and the lower profile Gil dry risers I am using still come out of the engine compartment a few inches. If the hatches you are talking about are the same as the ones in the photo on this thread, they would be great to locate. I will in any event return a deserving Cigarette to live once again & and all help is much appreciated
Did your boat have race hatches? I have a set that I purchased out of FL and few years back, they have the same paint as your boat.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Registered

Yes it did
Old 10-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Registered

Looks like previous owners photo of my Mistress. Would like to know how this boat ran with this configuration. Interesting power steering pump location. I am going to locate mine below the alternator. I have my drive to drive at 34 inches, this config is looks tighter then mine. I raised my drive height (crankshaft to bottom of boat) to19.5 inches from what originally looked like about 17.5 inches. I am using what i believe is a 3 inch rise Gil full length dry riser. In this photo the riser height is lower then mine and still are above the boat deck. I have no engine bay hatches as of yet. I have some glass experience, so looks like I will have to make. Nice photo!
Attached Thumbnails 38' Flatdeck?-older-eng-comp.photo.jpg  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
The boat arrived back up north in early march through a blizzard... A one legged boat transporter dropped it off... That was a long spring!!! Summer came and my pops started waxing and never stopped.. He really got the decks to shine and I kept the boat running. It was a great reliable and consistent boat. It would run 60 in the flat and in the rough.... The boat treated us well for a good 5 years... Then at that time my Dad got the itch for a gun.. The biggest reason was the cabin. We would always overnight every weekend. The gun had a whole lot more room.. So again I found another deal and the mistress was up for sale. It finally sold and it was Canadian bound..... At the time the boat was in good condition but did need some attention to the taped stripes on the side.. I think it needed a few other minor things.......... Yeah, for sure gauges....

The boat treated us good for how many years we owned it! We met alot a great people while boating on it and have still remained in close contact with many of them... I am really fortunate to have spent all that time driving while Pops paid for the gas....

I have spoken with Jay on the boat several of times.... I have to say his comments are what he conveyed to me.. Sad to see the boat get rough....
LOL 5 years in a Mistress, love the boat... same as you and Pops.... going for a gun for more space... same story!