89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?

Notices

89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?

Ok, so I finally got to start taking the gun apart to see what i've got myself into. I removed the cockpit interior and noticed the floor felt a little soft like there was not much support.I removed the floor last night and found that the support that runs right down the center between the top of the tanks and the floor was totally rotton. I'll get pics up tomorrow. should I pull the tanks and inspect further? and if so what is the best way to remove the tanks? It looks to me that i might have to do some cutting, but I am hoping not! any help and input will be appreciated.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you do happen to cut into them, i'd safely find a way to get the fuel (if there is any left) out.
All it takes is a spark from a power tool to ignite. I dont know how the Top Gun fuel tanks are mounted under there, but assuming you can get full access to them, you may be able to pull em out. Most boats (at least from what i've seen) have had foam between the tank and stringers.
How old is the boat? The older the boat, the more likely it is to have flaws. It depends on how the previous owner took care of it. Has it been sitting for awhile? If I were you, id look over as much as you can, so you can prevent anything from happening in the future.
Once the tanks are out, you'll have a better look. If the floor support peices are rotted, chances are more stuff could very well be rotted too. Check stringers, and all supports....
Hope this helps!
Sam

Last edited by CigaretteSam; 12-12-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ended up having to cut my tank in my scarab in half to get it out. I ended up draining it empty and then filling it with water to displace any vapor. I then placed a fan in the boat and went at it with a sawzall!

Good luck because it was probably the worst part of my whole rebuild

Pics can be seen here:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...n-ongoing.html
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's a pic with the floor up. You see the rotten center support. The support was plain wood with nothing on it, so I'm assuming that is why it is rotten. From what I can see of the stringers, they seem solid, But I don't want to stop checking too soon. If I have to pull the tanks, has anyone else done this on their Top Gun?
Attached Thumbnails 89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?-20121211_181924.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet Bowtie
Here's a pic with the floor up. You see the rotten center support. The support was plain wood with nothing on it, so I'm assuming that is why it is rotten. From what I can see of the stringers, they seem solid, But I don't want to stop checking too soon. If I have to pull the tanks, has anyone else done this on their Top Gun?
The fuel tank on my boat looked just like that when I pulled my floor. If you want to check your stringers if you pull tanks, drill into them and check the wood inside. If it is wet and mushy, it may very well be rotted.

Last edited by CigaretteSam; 12-12-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Removed both tanks on my 1984 38' Cigarette and replaced them with new tanks. Here are some pictures. It was a b--ch.
Attached Thumbnails 89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?-dyno-gas-tank-removal-4-.jpg   89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?-dyno-gas-tank-removal-5-.jpg   89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?-dyno-gas-tank-removal-6-.jpg  

89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?-dyno-gas-tank-removal-7-.jpg   89 top gun fuel tanks,Remove?-dyno-gas-tank-removal-8-.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

RMP,
Did you have to cut the back wall out to get the tanks out? It looks like it in the pics. Did you replace with aluminum or something else? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wet Bowtie
RMP,
Did you have to cut the back wall out to get the tanks out? It looks like it in the pics. Did you replace with aluminum or something else? Thanks for the help.
Yes, they extended under the rear wall, into the engine compartment. Found the OEM mfg. of the aluminum tanks and they had all the original dimensions. There should be "tags" on your tanks that tell what co. made them and I believe that is who I used. I thought of cutting the tops off the orig. tanks and welding the cracks but the new ones were not that expensive.

Last edited by RMPRam; 12-13-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks RMP, I think my tanks are ok but I'm not sure if i should pull them to inspect the hull and stringers under the tanks. is that part of a cig ever a problem for rot or being wet? is it worth cutting the boat just to check if the tanks check out ok?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

Not to hijack but this is relevant to the discovery process and it fits here. Qs:

Is there a way to inspect the tanks without removing any flooring, etc? (Like sticking a bore-o-scope down there? Camera?)

How to flush out old fuel/varnish from tank that have been sitting?

Any help or prior experience is welcome. Thanks,

-Justin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.