Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Look foward to the pics, Great Project

Jon
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Orion I just had a thought and a chuckle. If you think my project is daring you should read the post about the guy who cut his 35 Cigarette down and made a 28 open out of it .
RG.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Orionsilverboat
Your going to be very suprised how hard it is, cutting the hull like that is a big mistake, it will never be the same structurally, good luck
BULLSH*T if you knew a tenth of what Rick G knows about glass and composites you'd be a GURU...
comment not please, only positive reinforcement needed here!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick G
Orion I surely hope you are wrong about the structural integrety. Phil at Lipship marine certainly didn't share your concern as he has done this modification on more than one occassion . Given the bonding materials today I am hoping that the structure will the same if not better . Hulls are repaired successfully on routine basis these days I hope mine falls into that category . Besides there is no turning back I already cut the hole.

RG.
don't lose a seconds sleep over it buddy... do you think I would have handed you the sawsall if I didn't think you were up to the task? lmao!!!
and then the Scarab is next to go under the blade!!! BOUAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me if some crazzy guys on here build some steps in a flatbottom...LOL... but why not ?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Registered

Cafe Man don't give me any crazy ideas . Come to think of it I think I saw a 41 Apache for sale that had a step put in it. I never heard whether it actually worked . All kidding aside given the type of boating I do ( pleasure) I have never been a fan of step hull boats not withstanding the performance advantages . Even thought straight bottom hulls are slower I think they are just more predictably ( read easier ) to drive . Just my personal opinion.
I will post pictures of my adventure as it progresses .
RG.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Apache you're referring to looks like a mess on the bottom. I've seen it in person. Good luck with your project.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cored Hull or Solid? Make sure you grind back real good all around seam before starting layup, at least 8 or 10 inches.

Last edited by automobili_v12; 02-15-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rick, I am the guy that is redoing the 35' Cig into a 28' cc. You have no reason to be concerned with structural integrity as long as you use the right materials and proper prep. These hulls are laid up with polyester and last for decades, so by using superior vinylester and epoxy resins with new fabrics you can improve the structural integrity. Do make sure to taper the bottom laminate back from the cut to maximize the bonding area. I applaud your project. Just got the teak floors installed in the 28. Hope it does not fall apart !
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Automobili , it is a solid kelvar hull no coring ( thank god one less issue to work around). To clarify the hull is laid up in alternating layers of Kevlar weave and mat . The basicc hull I counted to be a total of 18 to 20 layers . the stringers areas and especially the keel are significantly thicker( more than double in the keel area) . I agree I had intended to fearther out at least 6 to 8 inchs on the outer hull and 8 to 10 inches on the inner hull in addition to tying the the center and next stringers throught the notch into the new transom I am doing . I am certain it will be plenty strong. The lay up will consist alternateing layers of biax and trix with kevlar for good measure , bonded with a particular vinylester resin.The finished uncored notch should be atleast 3/4 of inch thick at the thinest part. I'm goung for strenght not weight ( keep in mind it is only a 9 x 9 inch notch).
Rick G.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.