Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
How to put a Notch in a Flat Deck >

How to put a Notch in a Flat Deck

Notices

How to put a Notch in a Flat Deck

Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Ren3 I have been following your project . The guys here thought I had balls, your project is over the top. Truth be told I was never really concerned about the integrity of the finished product. I have been doing fiberglass work at various levels for over 30 years and understand the the capibities of the various products now on the market. The resins and materials now availble when applied properly leave little room for error . You are bang on thought proper preparation is everything.
Rick G.

Last edited by Rick G; 02-15-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is 9"x 9" notch whats on the later model 38?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Registered

Auotmobili I believe the top gun notch is 11.5 by 11.5 . In my conversations with lipships in researching the notch for my boat he advised me that he felt that the notch in the gun was bigger than it neede to be and that the small notch would be just as efficient and stronger . The gun notch goes from inner strake to inner strake, the notch I am building falls short of the inner strakes by approx 3 to 4 inches . In this case less is more . Hope that helps.
Rick G.
P.S. where are located and as your name might suggest are you Italian?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Born and raised in Miami, have owned about 8 dif Cigs, my Business is about 5 miles from factory, got a fiberglass buddy that worked there in the 80's, I have owned various Lamborghinis thats where name came from. Factory is called AUTOMOBILI LAMBORGHINI

Last edited by automobili_v12; 02-15-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rick, you made me think about my first experience with fiberglass. It was in 1974 when I started building model rc hulls from scratch in glass and polyester. I have now done four full size boats, and my latest model is a 73" Cigarette flat deck, done in 2003. I had molds made and sold about 20. I hope that Dave Sikorski gets his boat done so some of the naysayers can become a little more knowedgeable about what is possible. Can you imagine that if people did not push the envelope we would not have or toys to play with. Don Aronow did us a huge favor. Mounted my 3.0L 250 outboard today, and the transom is still intact! Keep the pictures coming.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick G
Well call me crazy , but I just cut a big hole in my boat that floated perfectly well. As I am putting No. 5 drives on the boat and changing the drive.height. Boat experts far smarter than I suggested a notch would be the way to go as I am not putting extension boxes at this time .
So here are a few pictures of the piece Hull I have removed ( I will give someone a good deal it on it if you are looking to fill in a notch LOL) , the hole I created and the lay up of the notch insert
Rick what year is your Flatdeck? Yours is the 1st Kevlar one I have seen with the cross bracing in the engine room.

Mark
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

Hi Mark , I like your ride . Mines a 1985 . It was factory rigged as a No. 3 boat . I know now that I removed the wood from the transom . It probably had 420s originally as it appears the exhaust has been relocated at least once .
Mark is yours a Kevlar boat?

I did the trial fit of the insert tonight , I will post pictures tomorrow .
Rick G.

Last edited by Rick G; 02-15-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Registered

Ren3 I started doing fiberglass repairs on corvettes in the mid 70s. I got so busy I started a corvette restoration shop with a good buddy and great mechanic in 1975 specializing in 1963 to 1967 models . Did that for 2 years then decided to back to school to become the Canadian equivalent of a CPA , been doing that for 30 years . I have always Been a motor head . Still have a correct 1964 corvette coupe and a 1969 camaro pro street I built up from a 300 dollar beater .

It is a sickness I'm sure but it keeps me off the streets.

Rick G.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick G
Hi Mark , I like your ride . Mines a 1985 . It was factory rigged as a No. 3 boat . I know now that I removed the wood from the transom . It probably had 420s originally as it appears the exhaust has been relocated at least once .
Mark is yours a Kevlar boat?

I did the trial fit of the insert tonight , I will post pictures tomorrow .
Rick G.
Mine is glass. KVogt and Fox Hunter are 86s and Kevlar one number apart with out the cross bracing. Ryan Flatdeck 38 is an 86 glass boat with the cross bracing.
Mine came with 400 cyclones and TRS's. can't wait to see your results. I was nervous cutting a hole for the AC pickup in mine. Keep up the good work. Mark
Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Registered

Thanks Mark . I am in the middle of the worst part now, the grinding and prep work. Not looking forward to itching for the next week . Mark I've been to Chicago a couple of times great city , if you ever get up to Toronto be sure to look us up .
Rick G.

Last edited by Rick G; 02-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.