Top Gun vs Tiger

Notices

Top Gun vs Tiger

Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Gun vs Tiger

I have been looking for a step bottom cigarette and really only the TG. I have found several Tigers with great power and stepped hulls for what appears to be a better deal.
Can anyone shed some light on the differences between these two other than the obvious size? I think the Tiger has a smaller cockpit area but I don't know much else. Are these boats as desireable as the TG?
Will they hold their value as well?

Thanks for all of your help
Old 07-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I'd go tiger. They are aggressive looking!!!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Top Guns are always easier to sell, hold their value better. There's a reason why the bravo Tigers are cheap, people that know better don't want them. The Tigers with the bravos are a bad weekend waiting to happen. The boats are a little too heavy for bravos and really need something more heavy duty. That's why they stopped building them with bravos. Especially if you put a blower on a 525 or what ever motor it comes with. Then you usually have too much weight and torque for a bravo. Now you'll get a bunch of guys on here saying that theres nothing wrong with bravo Tigers, they've never broken a drive ever in ex amount of years, yada yada yada... A lot of people drive drunk, never get busted, but it's still not a good idea. If you're going to do a Tiger with bravos you might want to look into something like the IMCO SCX drives. I've owned a Tiger and a Top Gun, and now a Rough Rider, the Tiger had 6 drives and was a straight bottom, the Top Gun was a newer twin step. The Top Gun was a great boat all around, easy to tow, dock, cheaper fees for docking, storage, lighter than the Tiger. The Tiger didn't hold it's value that well, the Rough Riders don't either. And you had better have the right truck to tow a Tiger. My 2 cents..
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with almost everything Tim said. Top Guns are what the average buyer of a Cigarette is looking for and why not they are awesome boats. The Tiger does have a smaller cockpit, but it has that long deck that to me is really good looking. As far as the drives go if you have a Tiger with Bravos you will at some point deal with drive issues. But with that being said there is not a huge difference in weight between the 2 boats. The 4 extra feet is always nice IMO. I would look at both and find the right deal. I added the IMCO SCX's to my boat and after I sold my Bravo XR's the cost to upgrade was a no brainer so you can factor that in if you find the right boat.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The only thing that I find disappointing about a Tiger over a Top Gun is the cockpit is not significantly bigger. The dash is laid out more flat which pushes the windscreen further from the front bolster occupants and provides a bit more wind vs. the Top Gun. When buying a boat that is 3-4 feet longer than its smaller sibling; if it were me--I would want a noticeably bigger cockpit. The Tiger is definitely going to handle rough water better. All of the above comments are dead on as well. Compare both boats; and most important: climb in the bilge and walk through some common maintenance operations. Put your finger on every bolt on the water pump housing. Pull the aft spark plug wires off of the back of each side of each engine. This is going to give you and indication how how tough it is to work on. You will find the Tiger a little easier to work on; so you have to weigh all of these attributes.

I went through the same dilemma when I bought my first boat years ago as I was debating between a Scarab P-29 and a Sonic 26 Prowler. Scarab: 3 feet longer than the Sonic; with a very long/flat/horizontal dash that just ate up a lot of space behind the windscreen; like a foot or so.

And this post is by no means a bash in any way so don't make it such. I may own a different brand, but I like a Cigarette too.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o37870-en.html

this tiger is a 525 boat. runs 82-84 all day every day. if memory serves me correctly he has only broken 2 drives in the 400+ hours he has put on the boat. not bad in my opinion. has a windshield on it and at 80mph you can talk back and forth. reliable turn key 80+mph boat. i see what you guys mean about the dash tho. i noticed that last week when i took a ride in it vs a top gun. i pulled the motors for him when he sent them out for the refresh. they were a piece of cake to pop out. ive worked on alot worse!!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o37870-en.html

this tiger is a 525 boat. runs 82-84 all day every day. if memory serves me correctly he has only broken 2 drives in the 400+ hours he has put on the boat. not bad in my opinion. has a windshield on it and at 80mph you can talk back and forth. reliable turn key 80+mph boat. i see what you guys mean about the dash tho. i noticed that last week when i took a ride in it vs a top gun. i pulled the motors for him when he sent them out for the refresh. they were a piece of cake to pop out. ive worked on alot worse!!
I think this boat is a screaming deal!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been on both as non steps and the Gun rode better.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
Been on both as non steps and the Gun rode better.
You think the gun rode better? In what way? Not arguing, just honestly curious. I owned a straight gun and spent a sh!t load of time driving and riding in a (Tim's)straight bottom tiger. Only difference in ride is the tiger seems to be more of a beast and just KILLED big water. Of course, my gun had blown 650's and 3a's and the tiger had blown 1000's and 6's...sooooo that may have had something to do with it
Old 07-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tiger took a s h i t load of tab to keep the bow down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.