Question about mounts

Notices

Question about mounts

Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about mounts

I bought a 1987 Top Gun with no engines but the racing engine and transmission mounts are there. How do you mount the rear mounts so that the top mount starters are still the correct distance from the flywheels when the mount would add about 1/4"? Do the bell housings have to be shaved down or something else done? Thanks, Bill
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conquistador
I bought a 1987 Top Gun with no engines but the racing engine and transmission mounts are there. How do you mount the rear mounts so that the top mount starters are still the correct distance from the flywheels when the mount would add about 1/4"? Do the bell housings have to be shaved down or something else done? Thanks, Bill
Bill,you need to measure the bell housing first to make sure they have not been snhaved..you need to take offf .250 and then move the starter ring from the front side to the back side of the flywheel..you will also need the longer doll pins,,summit lls them,,look up ones for a 4 speed scatter shields
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

If .25" is taken off the bell housings (if possible) then the starter would be the same distance from the flywheel as if the rear mount were not there. So why would you also move the ring gear on the flywheel?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Merc made two different bell housings. One for rear mounts, one for no rear mount. You can find the right ones used. If going from a bottom mount starter flywheel, to a Top mount starter location, the ring gear must be moved to the opposite side of the flywheel. That's a tough lesson to learn if the engine has been installed already.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
Merc made two different bell housings. One for rear mounts, one for no rear mount. You can find the right ones used. If going from a bottom mount starter flywheel, to a Top mount starter location, the ring gear must be moved to the opposite side of the flywheel. That's a tough lesson to learn if the engine has been installed already.
Thank you ZP! I thnk it would be to my advantage to find the correct bell housings instead of modifying mine. Bill
Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Before you cut or buy anything measure what you have. I have had the bell housings that were not cut come out of boats working fine with rear plates.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The other thing that is done is to mount a high torque small starter in the stock location on the block and you don't to worry about shaving or spacing issues.
RG.