Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
1989 Cafe Racer inspection tips?! >

1989 Cafe Racer inspection tips?!

Notices

1989 Cafe Racer inspection tips?!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I live in Maine so getting down ahead of time without losing my chance was out of the question so I took the risk of putting a deposit on it.. I've received a short video of the boat running in the water and it will be put on a hose when I get down there for me to check over completely..

It appears that it doesn't have external steering which is fine, but does it cause any stress on any components that I should be looking at?

I know it would be nice to do a survey and know exactly what I have but it's also gonna cost me that much to go get the boat.. I'm gonna be in it enough that it'll be hard to turn around and walk away.. That being said, any Cigarette lovers near Freeport that might care to lend another set of eyes at something I might miss?

Justin
Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want I can look at it if you want me to pm me you number...glad to help out a fellow cig owner...or anyone for that matter
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.namsglobal.org/

or

http://www.marinesurvey.org/
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Registered

Park35, you have a PM sir..

i think im gonna give it the weekend to think about the survey.. ideally, yes, i should do it, but either way im pretty committed at this point. i might have it done up here in maine in the spring and set an agenda then in what direction to go in.. i think at this price, i cant really get too hurt on it either way, even if it needs transom work (according to the marina, its solid as a rock.)

i will say that if its garbage and i cant turn back on it, i will make it my civic duty that no one on OSO will ever buy from them in the future.. im putting some faith in the dealer, which is hard to do this day and age, but im honest and expect it in return.. we'll see what happens!

Justin
Old 01-08-2014, 07:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Most Cigs are solid until someone messes with them drilling holes and not sealing right, I think for 20,000 I would care less about a survey, I do my own with a small hammer that tells what you need to know, and even if you buy that boat and sink 10,000 or so into it (and you will) over a period of time, whats wrong with that??? still a Cafe around 30,000 or so, not a bad deal at all and one hell of a good riding boat!!!!

I put lots of money into my Cig, dont care because I see no plan to sell anytime soon, I LOVE my boat, only thing I want lore right now would be a 41 Apache, that isnt happening, so I have no issue putting money into mine...

good luck get us more pics!!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the family
Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Will call u in a little while
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Registered

This forum is only as good as the people on it are, and I'm finding out they are pretty damned good.. Thanks to everyone for their help!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Whack
This forum is only as good as the people on it are, and I'm finding out they are pretty damned good.. Thanks to everyone for their help!
Forward stringer starboard side brake..if you see stress cracks on the bottom just forward of the steering wheel then the stringer is about ready to come through..i have see 2 that we fixed and they were lake michigan boats..they were one of the first ones built,,since cig made the stringers stronger..wisk my pc did not crash,,lost all my old pic's fron back in the day of fixing broken stringers..
Old 01-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Registered

Newbie question of the day, but when you say bottom you mean the bottom outside of the hull just forward of the steering wheel area correct? tap around there and check for cracks? this is the first im hearing of this spot, good to know!

Justin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.