Old 09-08-2014, 05:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

Sweet!!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Love the pic and vids. But I am confused kinda new to twins and alittle bigger power and I thought turning in gave u more stern lift with the props forcing the water down and back. Also are most twin stepped boats spinning in or out?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good
Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
If you check out how the pros get their top speed in kilo & shootout contests, they actually slightly OVER trim to get the RPMs up, and then bring the props back down to get the bite back. Try this technique and you may see a few more ticks.
Never thought of it that way! Definitely makes sense... Im not pulling speeds of ICDEDPPL, but when im running at 4800, let it slip to 5000 to get the cpl extra ponies and see if she can hold the rpms as I bring the drive back down slowly.. Will try that this weekend!!

Great Video btw!! DED, Looks like your scootin!!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
Love the pic and vids. But I am confused kinda new to twins and alittle bigger power and I thought turning in gave u more stern lift with the props forcing the water down and back. Also are most twin stepped boats spinning in or out?
Just focus on what the prop blade motion is on the outer halves of the gear cases and it will make sense
Old 09-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

That's so cool ICED, sweet boat. Maybe one day I can play in the water.....
Old 09-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I liked when we ran it at 84mph on dead calm river water with props spinning "IN", and it was hot and humid that day. Which is FAST for a heavy old flatdeck with not a ripple in the water. The day THIS video was shot, air was better, and while not rough water, it wasnt sticky calm river water. I think had the props still been turning in, she would ran upper 80's easily.

My theory is this. We know turning the props in, helps carry the bow, better than turning them out. If when turning them in, the best speed is seen when trimmed way out, would tell me, that the boat is simply getting more hull out of the water, therefore going faster.

Cleaver props, are stern lifting designs, plain and simple. When running the old SSM 4 blade props, the only rake option is/was, 15 degree rake. 15 degree rake, doesnt offer as much bow lift as say an 18*, or 20* rake. But, the only option to go there, would be new CNC style props, which for guys like you and I, isnt in our budget to spend 5-10k for props.

But, lets say some Herrings were in the budget. Some higher rake, or possible rounded ear propellors, would offer much more bow lift, without having to trim excessively. Possibly even allowing greater speeds, maybe even turning "out". We have stern lifting cleavers on our boats. I think the reason most boats run faster with them turning "IN", is simply, they need all the help the can to carry the nose. Then you raise the x dimension up high, and again you lose bow carrying ability.

I would like you to watch this video I shot years back of Ryans boat. This is with props like we have, with 3A drives relatively deep in the water (which aid bow lift). He is trimmed out, props turning outwards. IMO, you will never see big speeds in boats like you guys have, running as "Wet" as his is in this video. You simply cant have water breaking in front of the fairing. Ryan isnt a top speed guy, and prefers the turning out thing. But pause the video at 38 seconds, and see what I am talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAQsYtGVEQ&list=UUp5a3ofuWg3qcMiWaAaSJUw
Old 09-10-2014, 07:53 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I couldn`t stay in it port motor kept running out of fuel pressure.. next thing I gotta figure out ...still on the hunt for that 90mph Flat Deck[/QUOTE]

Awesome video's What are you running for fuel pumps ? I'm running high flow mechanical and haven't noticed problems at higher RPM but still turn on my electric to make sure I have all the volume I need. Check and see if you have any 90 deg fittings in fuel lines in the motor that's starving. Try swapping them out to sweeping 90's. They make a huge difference in fluid flow, especially oil flow.
What props are you running to get that speed at 6000 rpm
We talked for a second in MC. Wish I had time to look your boat over. It's beautiful on the water.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
I couldn`t stay in it port motor kept running out of fuel pressure.. next thing I gotta figure out ...still on the hunt for that 90mph Flat Deck

Awesome video's What are you running for fuel pumps ? I'm running high flow mechanical and haven't noticed problems at higher RPM but still turn on my electric to make sure I have all the volume I need. Check and see if you have any 90 deg fittings in fuel lines in the motor that's starving. Try swapping them out to sweeping 90's. They make a huge difference in fluid flow, especially oil flow.
What props are you running to get that speed at 6000 rpm
We talked for a second in MC. Wish I had time to look your boat over. It's beautiful on the water.
Hey Doug. I'll answer for Dan. He is running the six valve style mechanical pumps. He recently replaced one of his old holley ones that puked out on him on his recent loto trip, with one of these http://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011...uel-pumps.html

Up until putting that pump on, all was well fuel pressure wise, and the other engine is ok with fuel pressure with the old pump. Your right on though with the 90's. The NPT to AN 90's, dont flow like a 90* hose end. I think he does have the AN/NPT 90 fittings on the pump. All #10 fuel lines with the big wix filters.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 4,304 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Look at this Fountain Guy coming in my forum talking Cigarette talk

I`ll disagree with your turning In theory on my boat.. Top speed should be with the drives as level with the boat as possible. If I have to trim super high turning IN then the drives are just pushing the boat on an uneven level trying to carry the bow. The water is hitting the bullets in all the wrong ways.

Now that i know I don`t have to trim as high with turning OUT I think it`s a step in the right direction. Ryans drives are deeper in the water and no boxes it will ride different.

Thats my theory anyway.

Doug, it was nice meeting you, boat looks and sounds great.

I haven`t mentioned it before but one of my tanks is leaking.. (well actually now its both) yeah good times so im sucking off one tank.. never been able to get it up to 6000rpm for an extended time until now so either im` running out make up air in the one tank or something else is going on.. I believe theres at least 4 90`s from tank to the pump .. not sure why the other side is fine with the same set up. I won`t worry about it too much as this winters project is both tank redo.
I should rename this boat Christine as it may be cursed.. everytime I say ok almost done just one more thing..... something else pops up.Oh well.

I~m running 17 3/4 x 27 4 blades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.