How to tell if a 38 flatdeck is a KV >

How to tell if a 38 flatdeck is a KV

Notices

How to tell if a 38 flatdeck is a KV

Old 10-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if a 38 flatdeck is a KV

So I'm seriously interested in a 1984 Cig flatdeck, I'm assuming it is an SE, but were all SEs KVs also?? I know the scarab KVs said KEVLAR on the transom below the HIN, is this true for Cigs as well?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Ive read that there is very little kevlar in the kv edition... More like couple stringers were made of reenforced with kevlar...
That kind of stayed in my mind that it is not something that is very worth something more than a regular scarab...

But i may be wrong!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Registered

I'm talking about a Cigarette, I know the scarabs were marked on the transom
Old 10-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered
VIP Member

if you ordered optional power and ssm#3 drives you got kevlar automaticaly if it came with trs you didnt
Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Scarabs were NEVER marked with Kevlar on the transom !! The Kevlar 49 emblems were put on the port and starboard sides of the boats right behind the front seats and the left rear upper deck across from the Wellcraft emblem.... Dupont had a special deal with Wellcraft to advertise their products and as far as just stringers the product was a special order and the cost was some where between $2300 and $3800 depending on the boat...that was a lot of money in the day and was special order only . If you saw it on the transom some one put it there..........Also the boats were lighter and stronger than the stock boats.

Last edited by cigboat1; 10-14-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by zombiescustoms
I'm talking about a Cigarette, I know the scarabs were marked on the transom
Sorry, my fault!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I have been able to tell the Kevlar Cigs do not have the extra reinforcements in the engine compartments or under the seats in the cabin. If you hit a Kevlar Cig on the hull it will move more then a glass one.
They are definetly a lot lighter. When sitting in the water side by side the Kevlar boat will be a couple inches higher out of the water. Kevlar was marketed to be stronger there a lighter layup.

See in the picture how much higher Fox Hunter (Kevlar) sits then mine fiberglass

Mark
Attached Thumbnails How to tell if a 38 flatdeck is a KV-image.jpg  
Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCIG
From what I have been able to tell the Kevlar Cigs do not have the extra reinforcements in the engine compartments or under the seats in the cabin. If you hit a Kevlar Cig on the hull it will move more then a glass one.
They are definetly a lot lighter. When sitting in the water side by side the Kevlar boat will be a couple inches higher out of the water. Kevlar was marketed to be stronger there a lighter layup.

See in the picture how much higher Fox Hunter (Kevlar) sits then mine fiberglass

Mark
Maybe if you got the 3 sheep out of the cabin, you'd shed a few lbs. I heard those little guys are heavy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D18J0p407ls
Old 10-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Mark I must have an odd ball flat deck . Mine is a 1985 Kevlar boat but it does have the extra reinforcements in the bilge . Go figure .
RG.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Only for sure way I've found is looking under the dash for the goldish color and Kevlar specific weave under the dash.
And cigs were never refferes to as "kv" that was scarab specific.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.