Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
drive height >

drive height

Notices

drive height

Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cruise speed is usually where most bravos break. You are in the heart of the torque curve so the load on the drive will be the highest as the boat is not really aired out. That is the range where the drive temps will be the highest as well.
Good luck with the build. If you are looking for improved gears talk to George at All American Drive Service. They do CRYO and REM polishing of gears.

All American Drive Service
Shipping Address:
563 E. Chicago Street
Bronson, MI 49028
TOLL FREE: (877) 283-5465
Fax: (517) 858-1043
[email protected]

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
I went from TRS, to Konrads, to SSM dry sump Sixes. 800 Chiefs were the constant power. I broke; TRS, Konrads, and transmissions. The failures would happen while cruising at 3500, 50 mph. The TRS were 5.5 inches below bottom, Konrads 3.75 below bottom. 6A's 1 inch above bottom. Same power, 6A was 12 mph faster. Bam 1350 transmissions now. I don't run mine fast. 62-63 mph at 3500 cruise now, up and down the coast of Florida.
Do yourself a favor and listen the guys on this forum. They know what they are speaking of. Bravos XRs are a great product up to 500 hp. Iffy at 600 hp, after that keep a spare in the bow. The Bravos on 800 plus hp are good if you idle.

I am now in the process of converting a #5 drive, staggered, 90 mph edition boat, to 6A SSM on extension boxes
Old 02-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ZERO,

Which 90MPH did you pick up. I would love to do one of them someday.

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
I went from TRS, to Konrads, to SSM dry sump Sixes. 800 Chiefs were the constant power. I broke; TRS, Konrads, and transmissions. The failures would happen while cruising at 3500, 50 mph. The TRS were 5.5 inches below bottom, Konrads 3.75 below bottom. 6A's 1 inch above bottom. Same power, 6A was 12 mph faster. Bam 1350 transmissions now. I don't run mine fast. 62-63 mph at 3500 cruise now, up and down the coast of Florida.
Do yourself a favor and listen the guys on this forum. They know what they are speaking of. Bravos XRs are a great product up to 500 hp. Iffy at 600 hp, after that keep a spare in the bow. The Bravos on 800 plus hp are good if you idle.

I am now in the process of converting a #5 drive, staggered, 90 mph edition boat, to 6A SSM on extension boxes
Old 02-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
Cruise speed is usually where most bravos break. You are in the heart of the torque curve so the load on the drive will be the highest as the boat is not really aired out. That is the range where the drive temps will be the highest as well.
Good luck with the build. If you are looking for improved gears talk to George at All American Drive Service. They do CRYO and REM polishing of gears.

All American Drive Service
Shipping Address:
563 E. Chicago Street
Bronson, MI 49028
TOLL FREE: (877) 283-5465
Fax: (517) 858-1043
[email protected]
That was my next call
Old 02-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
ZERO,

Which 90MPH did you pick up. I would love to do one of them someday.
Not mine, Mr. Picketts. Lock and Load, #4 of the 5. It lives here with mine.
We have the transom recut and the drives at paint. Waiting on driveshaft fabrication.
Attached Thumbnails drive height-image.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Zero , do know what Mr. Picketts is dong with the hardare he is removing from the boat ?
On another note is the X dimension the same with the 6's as it was with the 5's ?

Rick G.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The boxes, #5 drives, steering, all went to someone in Michigan. The x was a pain in the ass. The 6a,s are longer than #5s. We had to use 12 " ext. boxes on the sixes to get the driveline to connect, or you move engines, buy new tailpipes again, fight hatch issues, etc. The sixes will be 12 " back farther than the 5s on boxes. So the height has to come up. Without exceeding max drive shaft angle. It took a little time to mock up, and some advise from John Pompi ( marine performance), and Chief Performance (Tommy), to arrive at a template location. We then drilled and recut it, filled all the old steering holes, #5 holes, airfiled it, and repainted. Then reassembled the six boxes and measured for new driveshafts. They are being built now.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Those drives will not last on lake Michigan with that setup. Unless of course you only take it out on calm days and baby it ever so gently. I wouldn't install shorties on that setup. Lake Michigan is rough. Bringing the props closer to the surface will just let them break free more often, and lead to more frequent drive failures. Going 85-90mph and having the drive let go sucks. Especially if you snap a standard bravo gimbal ring , which is a reality on a heavy top gun in rough waters with decent speed capability. I've seen boats sink and nearly sink because of that.

I would strongly recommend at minimum the SCX drives with the heavy duty transom assemblies. There's a reason cigarette ran #6s or #5's with that kind of power.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Those drives will not last on lake Michigan with that setup. Unless of course you only take it out on calm days and baby it ever so gently. I wouldn't install shorties on that setup. Lake Michigan is rough. Bringing the props closer to the surface will just let them break free more often, and lead to more frequent drive failures. Going 85-90mph and having the drive let go sucks. Especially if you snap a standard bravo gimbal ring , which is a reality on a heavy top gun in rough waters with decent speed capability. I've seen boats sink and nearly sink because of that.

I would strongly recommend at minimum the SCX drives with the heavy duty transom assemblies. There's a reason cigarette ran #6s or #5's with that kind of power.
Been there and done that myself back in 93 south of grand haven. Not a good time. In fact one of the very few what consider down right scary moments,
Old 02-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

I just bought a pair of IMCO SC totally rebuild -3 shorty I can always space them down
Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Calm days it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.