A couple Bullet Questions

Notices

A couple Bullet Questions

Old 02-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple Bullet Questions

Hey guys,

Last season I noticed a couple things in the Bullet as the season was ending. First was that the right drive I'd have to hit the trim button (sometimes twice) before the drive would go back in. Never had an issue trimming out once on plane. I believe its a solenoid, but not sure where that pump is. Can someone tell me where i can begin looking?

The other is the hatch. I would hit the up button to raise the engine hatch and would hear the motor spinning, but sometimes the hatch wouldn't raise, until I hit down a second then hit up again. Any ideas of what to check? I was thinking fluid since those are hydraulic to just make sure its full. Since winter is going by pretty quickly, I am just trying to get my to do list in order for spring. These were the only 2 mechanical/electrical things I noticed. Everything else is just my normal maintenance.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Your hatch pump is on the port side under the bench seat. Trip and tab pumps are in engine compartment bulkhead and should be two on each side.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely check you solenoid for the drive issue. They are notorious for locking up when they get weak. You can get them at any parts store. Tell them you need a remote starter solenoid for a seventies Ford truck. Pump should be the inboard pump at the front of the engine compartment on the side you are having issues with. Trim tab pump is on the outside.

Your hatch pump is under the back seat. Check the fluid level closed . Should be about approx. 1/4" from the top to be full. If that is not the problem then there is an issue with the pump. One other thing to check is that the top of the cylinder is not leaking. make sure the retaining nut at the top is tight.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Registered

Thanks CIG3,

I have a couple solenoids that the previous owner gave me that he kept as spares. With the different pumps and working alone, I wanted to make sure I had a location haha..

I didn't notice anything leaking at the top of the cylinder, but will def look again and check the nut. Thanks again for the help.. This gives me a good start...
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

On question 1:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...-solenoid.html
Old 02-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Registered

Awesome. Thank you.

The last post in that thread "when its intermittent...." which is how mine is reacting.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by sleev-les
Awesome. Thank you.

The last post in that thread "when its intermittent...." which is how mine is reacting.
Yeah I saw that. I think I bought mine on amazon for under 25 bucks and had it two days later. Truthfully we should probably all have one or two extras on board
Old 02-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Registered

The part number for the solenoid is Sierra # 18-5817. The Mercury # is 89-96158T. The problem with the new ones is they are made in Taiwan and they don't last. I carry two spares with me just in case.
When you check the fluid level on the pump for the hatch cylinder there should be a dipstick for the fluid level.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Registered

I know I have at least one in the boxes of stuff the previous owner gave me. I need to go through those boxes before spring since there are so many things in them. Ive got spark plugs, extra down pipes for silent choice, extra cylinders for the silent choice. Cylinder rebuild kits, impellers, and a bunch of other stuff. I didn't ever go through it last summer since I was just psyched about being out on the new boat haha
Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Scott , hows the motors coming along?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.