Crap start to my season >

Crap start to my season

Notices

Crap start to my season

Old 05-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little update:

Head gaskets were the problem. Since the heads are off now, going to do the valves regardless. Over the winter, I will most likely do the other motor so both top ends are gone through.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Good to hear and good plan.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Head gaskets banged up plug? Any pics? Or was plug melted?

I would also make sure you have inconel or equivalent exhaust valves...

Sounds like te mechanic is a good one from the posts so I am sure he will steer you in right direction and just not looking for a pay day.

I am not sure how you cannot notice a dead or near d&d cylinder let alone a few... That engine had to be down on power...
Old 05-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Registered

Head gasket is what started the problem from what I've seen.. Another reason to do the heads is the plug. The plug also looked rusty so thinking water go to it. The plug still had the 90 degree end on it, but the center electrode is what was gone so I not sure on the details.

Its the craziest thing I've ever seen. Looking back, the only thing I noticed was my top speed wasn't the same, but thought it could have been the load and when I was idling in a slow zone, the right motor was at a lower RPM and I had to throttle it a bit more to get the 2 to match. When on plane, the RPM's matched. I couldn't explain it if I tried. There was nothing else showing signs of a cylinder down..
Old 05-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sleev-les
Head gasket is what started the problem from what I've seen.. Another reason to do the heads is the plug. The plug also looked rusty so thinking water go to it. The plug still had the 90 degree end on it, but the center electrode is what was gone so I not sure on the details.

Its the craziest thing I've ever seen. Looking back, the only thing I noticed was my top speed wasn't the same, but thought it could have been the load and when I was idling in a slow zone, the right motor was at a lower RPM and I had to throttle it a bit more to get the 2 to match. When on plane, the RPM's matched. I couldn't explain it if I tried. There was nothing else showing signs of a cylinder down..
Those would be the signs of a cylinder down lol
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Registered

Yea, but when I dropped a cylinder in a car I noticed the idle was rough and backfiring etc. Just thought it was odd that on this one I heard nothing out of the ordinary and didn't even think about that with the symptoms I listed above... Now I know better haha
Old 05-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I almost wiped inconel valve from a fuel line getting clogged, was way down on power 200 rpm difference and lagged... Was easy to notice
Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM
Registered

When you lost power, were you at cruise or idle? I still have my mind wrapped around how I could be matching RPM's at speed, but running 6mph in slow zones I saw the difference.. I just need to change my mindset and be thankful that I should be on the water next weekend haha
Old 05-15-2015, 07:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Sorry to hear that, its amazing what can cause the symptoms, if the head gasket was going and a little water was going in that would cause that cylinder to lean out. happened when my first set of aluminum heads rotted. I would tend to think you caught it just in the nick of time before something went bad and hydro-locked it, could have been much much worse. Dave is the kind of mechanic that will always lean to the be "cautious and prepared" side. as much as this sucks it could have gotten worse and been a lower end redo as well.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Registered

Trust me..I was worried until I got that phone call saying the lower end looked good. After seeing the head gaskets, it definitely was about to get really bad. The good news is that the heads should be done Saturday and Dave will have me ready for the following weekend. If the weather is nice, Saturday I'll be cleaning and getting ready for the water and most likely head out for a bit and run some old fuel out. Then Sunday I'll for sure be out all day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.