Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Cafe TRS refit - Go to Bravo XZ/XRs or Konrad 540 PRS? >

Cafe TRS refit - Go to Bravo XZ/XRs or Konrad 540 PRS?

Notices

Cafe TRS refit - Go to Bravo XZ/XRs or Konrad 540 PRS?

Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do appreciate all of the input. To answer some questions, I'm not really considering Imcos. From what I understand - and correct me if I'm wrong - they're basically really slick cases with Merc gears. The cost/benefit ratio just doesn't play out there.

Re my budget - let's just say that it's enough to do either a Bravo or Konrad conversion, but not looking at Arneson $$. I bought the boat knowing that it would need modernization, and the price was right. Obviously, I don't want to spend any more than is really necessary, but I definitely want it updated and I want to do it right.

Yeah, with my white bread, boring old-man speed and HP aspirations, as a former banker, I do see the economic argument for just keeping the TRSs. But I plan on keeping this boat for a good while, so I just really want it updated. And...on the other side of that valuation coin, I was going to pay $4500 to have the TRS drives & TAs rebuilt, as reliability is paramount to me. I do not want to be in the Bahamas limping along on one engine looking for someone to fix a drive to get me home. So, with that in mind, if I save the $$ I was going to put into rebuilding them and put that money into the new stuff, I could sell the TRS drive/TA packages and justify most of the net difference for resale valuation purposes. Sure, I won't recoup the full price of the new drives, but I think it's probably fair to say that - all else being equal - a Cafe with 2015 Konrads is safely worth $10K more than the same Cafe with TRSs. Maybe that's a bit high, but I think it's close.

And 315duramax - if you've got a line on a pair of brand new Bravo XZ/XRs drives & gimbals for $5K - even without the glass & engine mod work - pls let me know. In doing my homework, the best I could do on a new set of Bravo drives & TAs was $15-$18K, and that was before the other $3.5-4K in new flywheels, flywheel housings, couplers, starters, oil coolers, etc - not to mention moving the engines. Now in my case, my boat is completely stripped - engines out, transom being replaced - so I have somewhat of an advantage. But I don't think $5K vs. $15-20K is a realistic comparison.

The more information and input that I get, the more I think that Konrads are the way to go - for me. Will sleep on it tonight. And Cig92, yes - pls let me know about the NIB set for $15K. Very interested.

Last edited by OTSrange; 06-22-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I can't wrap my head around it, if it is not about more power, and speed, or even value, to say a 500hp boat with TRS is not reliable over a Bravo is just not true, I guess I could never justify spending 15,000.00 for lateral move..at the 500 ish hp level I never hurt a TRS for 6 years I had that power and I beat the boat every weekend, 600-700 hp is a different story..I will report back on the higher hp level as as of last week I have brand new gears in right drive, the 2 I broke were both old pitted gears (extras).

to me just seems like a ton of money to spend for the gains, but not my money..if you are gonna spend the big money go Konrad that would be the better choice for future power upgrades for you or the next buyer..
Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

For a look at resale, check out rebar' cafe. You know how many people have said they would've bought it if it had bravos??? I don't get it. That boat has drives 10 times better than bravos or konrads. 500hp and you want to sell it another 5-10 years from now just put bravos on it.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
5 grand for bravos, vs 15-20 for konrads... hmmmmmm
You forgot a little thing called "re-rig", I thought you did this for a living.....

I wish I would've known that, I could have just done Bravos and went boating!

Last edited by frickstyle; 06-23-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCIG
You can buy Brand new Bravo's, glass the transom, shorten tail pipes and all that work for $5000.00?

I don't think so

Mark
I never said brand new. His transom is already glassed...
Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I can't wrap my head around it, if it is not about more power, and speed, or even value, to say a 500hp boat with TRS is not reliable over a Bravo is just not true, I guess I could never justify spending 15,000.00 for lateral move.
That's what i was thinking. if you dont want to go faster, not upping the hp, then i dont see why switch. i think the only reason one of my trs broke w/ my 525's is because of my re-installation error after having it off & refreshed. Otherwise i had 7 yrs of use with only changing the oil every other season. Now i am wanting to move to something else but also looking to get more speed & up the power on the engines.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

it boils down to what you want. Trs are fine with your power, bravo more speed not as deep and cosmetically nicer engine bay with more room. Konrad easy installation and can hold more power and look stout on back of boat and more mph from shorter x. Trs is your cheapest rout. [ATTACH=CONFIG]542363[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Cafe TRS refit - Go to Bravo XZ/XRs or Konrad 540 PRS?-image.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

^Need more pics of your boat, looks good.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

My boat had Konrad's on it at one time, the previous owner tore them up with big whipple power, I think they look good, kinda like baby 6's, I would hang some 3'a or #5's on the back, great resale for someone that wants to run 700hp
Attached Thumbnails Cafe TRS refit - Go to Bravo XZ/XRs or Konrad 540 PRS?-2013080995125201.jpg  

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 06-23-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:03 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Konrad's with 925hp and they work very well. When/if we switch I will go to 6's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.