Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Cafe TRS refit - Go to Bravo XZ/XRs or Konrad 540 PRS? >

Cafe TRS refit - Go to Bravo XZ/XRs or Konrad 540 PRS?

Notices

Cafe TRS refit - Go to Bravo XZ/XRs or Konrad 540 PRS?

Old 06-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cafe TRS refit - Go to Bravo XZ/XRs or Konrad 540 PRS?

I posted this question on the Drives forum, so I apologize for the duplication, but it's crunch time and I wanted to get some Cig owner input specifically. I have an 87 Cafe Racer that I'm redoing (had rotted transom, so the back's a clean slate). Boat is completely stripped - engines & trannys are out.. Currently it has TRSs and pretty basic Merc 454-400s (does have some modest updates - better cams, Holley 800s and Stainless Marine alum manifolds - maybe 425-440 HPs). I have the budget and really want to take this opportunity to modernize it and shed the TRSs. I will probably not be repowering it, and if I did, 500s would be the max.

Trying to decide whether to put Bravo XZs (probably not going with XRs as the Zs would wear better with my HP) or go with Konrad 540 PRSs. I thought it would be a clearer call, but after tons of reading & research on the forums, it's harder than I thought. Will have to recut the transom either way, so that's not a real issue.

The pros with the Bravos - shed the maint & weight of the trannys, get more HP & speed (although speed in NOT the driving factor - 65 is fine with me). The negs - they generally don't seem as durable, more complicated retro-rig/install, rougher shifting. Pros with the Konrads - great durability/reliability, smooth shifting, no re-positioning of engines, easier re-rig. The negs - still have the trannys to deal with (which are BAM Cyborgs, btw).

Thought I had made the decision, but am now rethinking it. If anyone has any insights, or has actually done the transition from TRSs to to either Bravos or Konrads and can lend some information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by OTSrange; 06-21-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

----Konrads! Its all about the shifting to me. OK,,,a little bit about the robustness as well.........Bill s
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are set on your power and don't want to go above 500HP.I would do the Bravo conversion with external steering. The XZ drive should be fine and when you do you first drive over haul have towers put in and your good to go. If your ever going to increase power and run the boat hard the Konrads are the way to go.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Konrads ... More durable than Bravos.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I appreciate the feedback. What about maintenance on the trannys? Under the KISS principle, it seems like they're just another mechanical piece to maintain and possibly fail - not withstanding the HP loss. My trannys do have good stuff in them (BW 72Cs modified by BAM in 2010 to Cyborgs), but I still wonder about taking the opportunity with a blank canvas to get rid of them. It's now or never.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:45 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

I like the trans so i would do konrad PRS540s. but if you do bravo get ITS transoms!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Registered

I used konrads and loved them
Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Konrads, good company, easy installation, durable, shorter, better shifting,
Bravos, cheaper, can haul one with you, you will need the one you haul with you.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All depends on your plans if you plan to sell it anytime soon you'll prolly be better off with a bravo setup. We just switched one over from trs to xz's and rasied the x 1.5" night and day better handling boat and no more porpoise.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

With <500 hp I'd go bravo. Better for resale and they should hold up fairly well on the back of a cafe. Our xr's held up for 300 hrs on a TG with 500 efi's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.