Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
39 Top Gun Open ride quality >

39 Top Gun Open ride quality

Notices

39 Top Gun Open ride quality

Old 07-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Narrow becomes a stability issue at slow speeds and bobbing around. But, it usually helps smooth out rough water at speed. Do folks complain about the 39 Top Gun being too narrow, or does the lower COG due to the stern drives make a big difference? To those claiming it is too narrow, when does its narrowness become an issue to you all?

Last edited by Chart; 07-29-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:29 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

CG is lower with stern drives and the stern drive boats don't have a top making stability worse. I think the issue is more when sitting still or idling but side waves really rock the 8' hard top boats compared to the 10'+ hard top boats. In the pictures above, just walking from my boat to the 8' boat and back to the other 10' boat was like stepping into a canoe.(not quite but you definitely noticed a big difference.)
Old 07-30-2015, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Not to change the subject, but do the twin 300's on the 39 open look to be slanted in those daytime pictures? The engines on the GTS's look vertical. I guess its just a optical illusion?

Nice boats BTW...lots of nice hardware at that dock!

John