UPDATED : Looking for 2001 or Newer TS Top Gun >

UPDATED : Looking for 2001 or Newer TS Top Gun

Notices

UPDATED : Looking for 2001 or Newer TS Top Gun

Old 08-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found it best to research the type of engines instead of discounting anything that is not Mercury. Builders such as Sterling, Brad Smith, or Zul's are all quality and high power... IMHO
Old 08-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not like Mercury does anything special or has special engine parts. It's the same stuff everyone else uses. I've seen engines from the builders mentioned get more hours out of their motors than some of the Mercury's. Besides, the boats in the price range that the OP is looking for are going to be older and used, most of them have already gone through at least one rebuild. So the question would be who did the rebuild? Probably not Mercury. So that "stock power" isn't so "stock" any more. At that point, what difference does it make.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by tim mccray
It's not like Mercury does anything special or has special engine parts. It's the same stuff everyone else uses. I've seen engines from the builders mentioned get more hours out of their motors than some of the Mercury's. Besides, the boats in the price range that the OP is looking for are going to be older and used, most of them have already gone through at least one rebuild. So the question would be who did the rebuild? Probably not Mercury. So that "stock power" isn't so "stock" any more. At that point, what difference does it make.
Look at you using all this common sense and what not.

FYI, I'd take zul motors aaaaaaaaaaall day!!!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:26 AM
Registered

ttt still looking for stock EFI power.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by yarrowsledparts
ttt still looking for stock EFI power.
Is the Kool Aid good?
Old 08-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tim mccray
Thank you! This needed to be said. Although I do understand not wanting a builder that I never heard of. I have also seen more 525's go down lately because of leaky headers. If I was looking at a stock Mercury power boat that is used I would have to take in to consideration the fact I would need to replace the exhaust. It would be crazy to spend all that money and run power with 300 hrs on original headers. Just my .02.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of your input but I'm preferring "stock" power as if maintenance/repairs are needed its usually, not always, easier to find,fix,repair something that's not "built" by xyz builder. I would consider most boats/motor packages but EFI is a must.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:39 AM
Registered

ttt
Old 09-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yarrowsledparts
Thanks for all of your input but I'm preferring "stock" power as if maintenance/repairs are needed its usually, not always, easier to find,fix,repair something that's not "built" by xyz builder. I would consider most boats/motor packages but EFI is a must.

I'm not sure what you think other engine builders are using different than Mercury. They use the same stuff, same parts. If anything sometimes Mercury is the one that uses something proprietary occasionally. Look at the headers for instance, you break one and you can't just get a BBC replacement because Mercury had the bolt pattern changed. And the headers always break and leak. So only a certain header will fit or you have to get a custom system made like the ones from Stainless Marine. Like it was said before, you're either going to have to come up on what you're willing to spend or wait a few years till the 525 boats come down to your price range. Anyway, best of luck.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Registered

thanks Tim for your repeated input. If nothing is available in my first price range then I will need to adjust. Please any 525 or 600 boats please contact me. Serious cash Buyer

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.