Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Flatdeck for sale on POP Yachts   Anyone ever look at this boat, or know its history? >

Flatdeck for sale on POP Yachts Anyone ever look at this boat, or know its history?

Notices

Flatdeck for sale on POP Yachts Anyone ever look at this boat, or know its history?

Old 10-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Take the POP yacht boat spend $40K and 3 years of weekend work and you might be close to the caliber of Ryans and Marks boat... maybe.
You know, I read and have read almost every thread on this site. I look at these older boats and love them. Then I go back and read the threads on rebuilding this, this broke, engine blew up, drives shot... It never ends. I was looking at the POP boat because it looked to be pretty stock, could hopefully gas it and go. But then as I studied the photos and as others have pointed out I start thinking about things I would want to do (paint, interior , sound, more power...) it starts to get overwhelming. Especially as everyone knows, nothing goes as planned, the more you get into things the more you find and the scope creep gets crazy. My goal is to be on the water. Not that I don't mind a project and get satisfaction from making things my way, but life gets in the way and a winter project can end up taking years to complete or you end up with so much frustration you hate the boat.
What to do?
Buy something that is turn key and pay more, probably not a bad way to go.
Buy something that is less up front but will take work and money to get it to where I want it. Probably sounds exciting now, but will be the death of me.
Buy a cruiser and just cocktail on it. Doesn't sound too bad. Some of the Cruisers are pretty nice and not that shabby WOT as they used to be (Formula's, Sunseekers..)

I am trying to learn form others. My father in law has been building an airplane for almost 30 years. His wife is on him all the time telling him he should have bought something ready to fly, spend the money, you only live once. He is now almost 80 years old. Still working on it, but health issues are keeping him from getting his certs. He missed his window. Should have bought the plane that was ready to go. But he is still working on it, must enjoy it. I want to go boating while I can still enjoy it, don't need to be the fastest, but love the classic Cigs that ride great in the rough.

What to do...
Old 10-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

There actually are people that enjoy the build more than the finished product.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Awesome! Because then there's people like me that enjoys using it!! perfect fit.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, some great 38' options in my own backyard. Too bad the starboard motor went KAPUT on me, so its rebuild/repower time instead of upgrade time .
Old 10-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Come to Chicago. Take a look at ours and see what you think. For mine take the blowers and inter coolers off, put a new intake on and you have a pair of 509's. Then if you want more power later on put them back on. I still have the original hatch as well
Old 10-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let us know when you can make it. You will see 2 of the best flat decks available at this time

Mark
Old 10-17-2015, 09:51 PM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Very sad for me seeing all the COPS-Chicago Powerboat Club guys getting rid of there boats. What an awesome time we used to have and the memories I Will Never Forget. Even though I had a great time boating in the South I wish I would have stayed closer to home with you guys. As far as I'm concerned the flat decks on Lake Michigan are the best there are. Even though I'm not a flat deck I wish I was in the line up in Michigan City. Please post that pic

Last edited by Doug; 10-17-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

MRCIG and SONIC700......what are the top speed of your boats? Both beautiful rigs. Looking at the pics of both, Id have trouble choosing which boat to buy!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Doug...... any luck on selling yours?
Old 10-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Who, who are these people, I do not believe they exist!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.