36 widebody who knows it ? Thoughts? >

36 widebody who knows it ? Thoughts?

Notices

36 widebody who knows it ? Thoughts?

Old 01-11-2016, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]549541[/ATTACH]

Someone needs to get ahold of Gil Lieber. This was his old pleasure boat. He raced a 36' back in the day called FreeSpirit. Staggard set up.
Attached Thumbnails 36 widebody who knows it ? Thoughts?-36.jpg  
Old 01-11-2016, 02:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Great pic! As the story goes on this one Keith Eikert use to own it; did Keith ever race or just build engines?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't believe Keith ever raced. I do know Keith and Gil are great friends and Keith (KS&W) built Gil's engines back in the day.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When Sal & Willy owned it...Awesome motors and MANY race boat in those days were racing these motors and winning lots of races.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

If I bought it, it would go straight to Bruce Jones and get cut apart and rebuilt. I just think I will get into way more with this than I want.

How hard would it be to convert it to a staggered set up? If it needs a transom anyway would it be that much more work to make it staggered? Bruce would make an entire new cockpit with a liner and new dash pods I would think that to make it a staggered set up wouldn't be that much more.......

Insert burning money emoji.

Last edited by Ironmanwb; 01-12-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Staggerd setup=better exit/entry in and out of the water; correct? Or just better weight distribution in general?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]549541[/ATTACH]

Someone needs to get ahold of Gil Lieber. This was his old pleasure boat. He raced a 36' back in the day called FreeSpirit. Staggard set up.
I sent Gil the pics. I'll let you know if he has anything to say.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Registered

Yes to all. Props are deeper even with the same x dimension as side by side. Better in the rough, faster . But it takes up quite a bit more space and I'm not sure what would happen to center of gravity going from side by side to staggered.

The bottom line is I want to build one the way I want it but I don't want to spend the money it will take....Bruce is a good friend of mine but even with a friends and family discount it would be stupid money.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Ironmanwb
Yes to all. Props are deeper even with the same x dimension as side by side. Better in the rough, faster . But it takes up quite a bit more space and I'm not sure what would happen to center of gravity going from side by side to staggered.

The bottom line is I want to build one the way I want it but I don't want to spend the money it will take....Bruce is a good friend of mine but even with a friends and family discount it would be stupid money.
Understood, I'm a marine engineer so I speak that language. Id ventute to say that w inboard turning drives and them closer together the thrust is concentrated a little better too, hence like you said, "faster".. Might be a slightly slower roll time too with the power lower, maybe less prone to radical chinewalk..
Old 01-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

I took one ride in 36 widebody that was fully staggered and have been hooked ever since. Not fast but we were running 60 in true 5-6 ft Lake Erie water and the only thing the boat needed was more power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.