Mercury 700sci 2009 model, manifolds

Notices

Mercury 700sci 2009 model, manifolds

Old 11-22-2015, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msurf
Hi guys,

my Cig 42x 2009 model, needs replacement of at least one header & tube. It has 219 hours, and is 5 years old already. Because I bought it just now, I am not aware how it was preserved as ehcaust system before so I am thinking, to avoid any internal links to change it complete for both engines.

I have seen that there are 3 choices :
1)Stainless marine
http://www.stainlessmarine.com/produ...c-replacement/
2) Custom Marine
http://www.custommarine.com/headerapps/genxheaders.php
3) OEM Mercury

Stainless marine is different to the others significantly since they use one big tube instead of a usual manifold with big curves for all 4 tubes.
Custom marine seems very close to OEM Mercury design, I am not aware if they are completely the same.
I use the boat only in salt water but will take extra good care of it (always fresh it afterwards and drain the exahust etc).

What do you suggest in terms of longetivity and performance?
Any idea of (total) cost for complete exhaust system for both engines? I imagine it is seriously painful..!
I forgot your the guy over seas that just bought that on. That's a lot to ship all the way to Ohio for a 50/50 chance. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I switched over to Stainless Marine gen 3. While not as flashy no more headeraches.
No collector leaks, 02`s stay dry, easier header bolts to access, more bilge room, longer tails help reversion, etc etc ..all around win.

I still don't understand how those fit on your boat and not mine, it's pretty much the same setup....
Old 11-23-2015, 09:25 AM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by frickstyle
I still don't understand how those fit on your boat and not mine, it's pretty much the same setup....
Are you talking about the Gen 3 exhaust? They fit my gun and I have a very narrow engine centerline 35". I had to use their close application manifolds and clamps in the center. The regular stuff almost fit but the risers were touching, Jerry sent me the close app stuff and now I have around 1/2 of clearance in the center of the risers.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

We are a CMI and Cigarette dealer. We have GEN X CMI's in stock. Call Lance for details at 573-873-2300 or [email protected] , we would be happy to help!
Old 11-23-2015, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mmb
Are you talking about the Gen 3 exhaust? They fit my gun and I have a very narrow engine centerline 35". I had to use their close application manifolds and clamps in the center. The regular stuff almost fit but the risers were touching, Jerry sent me the close app stuff and now I have around 1/2 of clearance in the center of the risers.
Yes, had the gen 3 and it wouldn't work for me when we put the new engines in. I think we are about the same centerline at 35". Sucks, but way beyond that point now. Everything is in, and I hope it's not coming out for a long time (already been in and out of the boat probably 3 times!!!)
Old 11-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Go with the Stainless Marine. I've never heard a single complaint about them other than aesthetics, and given where you are, I'd take reliability over pretty any day.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:03 PM
Registered

Custom Marine told me that the headers in my boat are all custom taller leaned headers specific to that build. All 4 are "straight back" style, the front are 3" taller style, and the inside header on each engine is leaned (front leaned in, back leaned out).

I believe I have to go to the same root, which is CMI reproducing the same staff as they did for Mercury. Otherwise we will have to change all tubes after mufflers I believe, OEM will not fit.
Have sent email to Stainless marine with photos of my engine bay as well, I wait to see what they say if it fits and then decide.

You are all right about the reliability staff, it probably will be a big blow if water leaks in the cylinders in quantity..
Old 11-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Registered

Stainless Marine. I was going to run them, but they didn't fit. Went with a similar design but one piece, KE Lightning manifolds. They are aluminum, and not as pretty as stainless tubular headers, but for the same reason as above, RELIABILITY. I was nervous about the leaks, and a few others have switched up here (even in fresh water) from headers to manifolds.

Also, it's not only the saltwater that makes them leak, the vibrations and movement/harsh environment with the hard hitting can fatigue and crack welds over time. Somethings gotta give.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:37 PM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by msurf
Custom Marine told me that the headers in my boat are all custom taller leaned headers specific to that build. All 4 are "straight back" style, the front are 3" taller style, and the inside header on each engine is leaned (front leaned in, back leaned out).

I believe I have to go to the same root, which is CMI reproducing the same staff as they did for Mercury. Otherwise we will have to change all tubes after mufflers I believe, OEM will not fit.
Have sent email to Stainless marine with photos of my engine bay as well, I wait to see what they say if it fits and then decide.

You are all right about the reliability staff, it probably will be a big blow if water leaks in the cylinders in quantity..
Yes you will need new tail pipes with Stainless Marine. CMI (Custom Marine) only last around 5 years or so, think about that. next 2-3 years go by and its time to spend another 15-20K on exhaust. Tail Pipes can leak as well. CMI has become known as the worst marine exhaust made, their stuff just does not last. Do a search on here for leaking CMI headers, you will not like what you find...
Old 11-23-2015, 04:40 PM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Yes, had the gen 3 and it wouldn't work for me when we put the new engines in. I think we are about the same centerline at 35". Sucks, but way beyond that point now. Everything is in, and I hope it's not coming out for a long time (already been in and out of the boat probably 3 times!!!)
To late now but he cuts 1/4" off the exhaust flange to make more room and lowers the riser mount to keep the tail pipe at the same height. You can order the close application manifolds or the regular. Also the close application riser clamps have 1 bolt instead of 2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.