looking to buy Top Gun >

looking to buy Top Gun

Notices

looking to buy Top Gun

Old 02-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by beckmwi
Michael Peters- Professional boat builder article http://proboat.com/wp-content/upload...ower127low.pdf

"we were asked by Cigarette Racing Team (Opa Locka,
Florida) to step the bottoms of four
different models ranging in size from
30' to 42' (9.1m to 12.8m). Each of
those required us to work with the
existing molds. We developed step
inserts, and each of the four models
picked up 7–8 mph (11.2–12.8 kmh).
To my mind, those boats offer perfect
before-and-after examples of what a
well-designed step can achieve.
Here’s a stepped Cigarette [23, 24]."
Awesome read, thank you very much for posting this link!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
I agree it's hard to get a true comparison. How about this though, if you put 900's in a stepped 46 it will easily run over a hundred. Now put those 900's in a straight bottom 38 and I bet it doesn't hit 100. The 46 is significantly heavier even without a full cabin and is way faster so the steps must be doing something. I know it's not apples to apples.
It's true, my 1993 with 875hp and drives x dimension as high as the sky only ran 98. I could have squeezed the last 2 out but i sold the boat. Prop change etc.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
It's true, my 1993 with 875hp and drives x dimension as high as the sky only ran 98. I could have squeezed the last 2 out but i sold the boat. Prop change etc.
Man, 98 is smokin right along!
Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 PM
Registered

Run high 80's with stepped 35 and warmed up 500s. Ran 91 with light fuel.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Run high 80's with stepped 35 and warmed up 500s. Ran 91 with light fuel.
But not in the rough.... And not for long, in a bravo boat
Old 02-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
But not in the rough.... And not for long, in a bravo boat
"No Truth on the Internet". Lol. I agree. I miss the 3As
Old 02-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
Just my opinion, I have ran with a lot of TS guns, and when it gets 4 foot plus, windy, raining, and 100 miles to go, I would rather be in my old, heavy, straight bottom, with big drives.
Hey ZP, I will swop boats with you. We will make that happen this year on the St John's trip, lol. I got caught in Orange Beach a couple years ago (not paying attention), no rain but enough winds to cause a problem having to get back to Destin.
It was pretty hairy. I not a good judge of how big the water was but I sure am glad it wasn't any bigger.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
You would have to do two other things to show the impact of the steps, and only the steps: Make sure the stepped and non stepped boats weight the same and have exactly the same X dimension. If these two things were done, I would be surprised if the steps added even 7mph.
Agreed. At least in this particular application. I do tend to think other hulls gain more from steps than top guns. A good example was the RR vs TG.

I am still a firm beleiver that the old flat bottom guns weigh a bit more than the new ones. I pointed out several key differences in another thread:

1. Steps reduce overall hull material weight
2. Newer TG's have barebone cabins
3. Newer TG's seem to have less material layup especially in the cowling area. I've seen a few new TG's have quite a bit of cracking.
4. Newer boats only utilize 1 fuel tank

Whether it makes a difference who knows. I know there has been quite a bit of discussion on which one handles the rough better. TS owners say they fly better. Flat bottom guys say weight and flat bottoms crush waves. Who knows. Just go enjoy what you have!!!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Agreed. At least in this particular application. I do tend to think other hulls gain more from steps than top guns. A good example was the RR vs TG.

I am still a firm beleiver that the old flat bottom guns weigh a bit more than the new ones. I pointed out several key differences in another thread:

1. Steps reduce overall hull material weight
2. Newer TG's have barebone cabins
3. Newer TG's seem to have less material layup especially in the cowling area. I've seen a few new TG's have quite a bit of cracking.
4. Newer boats only utilize 1 fuel tank

Whether it makes a difference who knows. I know there has been quite a bit of discussion on which one handles the rough better. TS owners say they fly better. Flat bottom guys say weight and flat bottoms crush waves. Who knows. Just go enjoy what you have!!!
Excellent, we all have great boats that we are lucky to enjoy, old or new. It is a an incredible rush to look over the deck of any Cigarette while running, cruising, or idling out. Just a great feeling of pride of ownership, nostalgia, ego, and operating such a precision piece of equipment, and history.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Those are among the very reasons why I'm anxiously anticipating this spring.. + 16 cylinders harmonizing rhythmically running down the river on the way to sea.. Mmmmm..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.