Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
What's the skinny on this Gladiator? >

What's the skinny on this Gladiator?

Notices

What's the skinny on this Gladiator?

Old 03-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what is the real skinny on the rollover scare with the Glads? I would love to work my way into one if I could afford to!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TxHawk
The boat has run a lot since the incident. It was a soft roll and most damage was done during its retrieval. They don't all check in to OSO for their required Cigarette family update.
So a "soft roll" means what? I am guessing a hard roll has mills sheared off their mounts, drives flying through the air and a broken keel. Not trying to be flippant Tx but soft roll strikes me as being kinda pregnant. I am sure the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been but not knowing the extent of the damage or the thoroughness of the restoration one has to assume lingering problems.

It is nice to hear that it ran a lot after the event and hasn't just been sitting on a trailer in some dealers lot since.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Registered

I saw it a week ago also while in Cape Coral. The stern said Plano Tx as I recall, FWIW
Old 03-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 291 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Gladiators are amazing boats! I can not say enough good things about how great they drive and handle. Any negative comments are coming from uneducated trolls.

Personally I would not be scared of any saltwater boat or sunk boat that has been properly maintained and repaired especially if the price is right.
I would not be scared of something with history either, but people like us are far and few between. So when it comes time to sell, you better be in it right because most people don't think like we do and if they saw a picture of the boat with the bow up like that, they wouldn't even consider buying it at any price point.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BMBoyer
So a "soft roll" means what? I am guessing a hard roll has mills sheared off their mounts, drives flying through the air and a broken keel. Not trying to be flippant Tx but soft roll strikes me as being kinda pregnant. I am sure the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been but not knowing the extent of the damage or the thoroughness of the restoration one has to assume lingering problems.

It is nice to hear that it ran a lot after the event and hasn't just been sitting on a trailer in some dealers lot since.
I hear you. This is why most people who know something remain quiet. People ask for info then argue with what they get.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by C1000
so what is the real skinny on the rollover scare with the Glads? I would love to work my way into one if I could afford to!
There is no skinny, there is no problem. They are great boats. Lots of brands and models have rolled over due to driver error or faulty parts. Glads just have attracted some stupid owners that would have rolled ANY boat that they would have been driving that day. Then the jelous internet trolls spread rumors on this site for thier personal entertainment.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

OK, so I went and looked at the boat today, took a bunch of pictures and sent them to Bruce. I'll let him post any of them if he wants to.

I don't want to be labeled as an "internet troll who knows nothing"... so that's all I have to say about that. LOL

I will say this, there was no mention of the boat having been under before and was told that I was mistaken when I mentioned it.....Until I showed the guys the picture. ......

Last edited by OldSchool; 03-24-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
There is no skinny, there is no problem. They are great boats. Lots of brands and models have rolled over due to driver error or faulty parts. Glads just have attracted some stupid owners that would have rolled ANY boat that they would have been driving that day. Then the jelous internet trolls spread rumors on this site for thier personal entertainment.

Great thanks for the info, was kinda woried, now I just have to wait and save $$$
Old 03-24-2016, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Big difference in soft roll vs. hard roll. The soft roll usually has poppy seeds and a soft.... (just kidding)

But really there is a big difference. A soft roll means it hooked and just sort of rolled over in slow motion not doing a lot of shearing type damage. A hard roll rips the boat apart literally. The other thing that makes a huge difference is fresh water sunk vs. salt. Fresh water if salvaged quick and dried properly can be fine. A salt water sink requires stripping everything to a bare hull and starting from scratch as the salt gets into everything and even though it may look fine, its not. You could be chasing corrosion demons for years.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

It looks like that boat needs an interior as well. Also, it has that useless back seat set-up that was offered back then. Most Glad re-do's go back to a traditional bench seat for usability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.