In hull transducer and Cig construction

Notices

In hull transducer and Cig construction

Old 04-10-2016, 03:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In hull transducer and Cig construction

In updating my 2002 Playboy I am putting a new chart plotter in. With all the capabilities of new generation garmin units it seems silly not to put a transducer in also. Through research I have identified the best location it be just forward of the first step.

My question, is the bottom of the hull forward with of the first step near the keel cored or solid?

Last edited by BMBoyer; 04-10-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Registered

You may want to rethink the type of transducer you install. A transducer should not be placed where air bubbles can get to it, also whatever type you place can redirect water across the hull interfering with engine pickups. Placing it to forward and bouncing will change the reading if that part of the hull comes out of the water. You may want to re-think it and not put another hole in the hull that might leak or damage if you run aground. They have a high speed transducer that mounts on the transom that you can run with and still get readings mount it about two inches to the side of the drain hole and it will be save from all conditions and will lift up if you hit something. Just a thought hope it helps.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

No hole for an in hull transducer (not to be confused with a through hull) and the placement ahead of the first step is to allow undisturbed water.

The reason for the question is I don't want to remove any material (like inner glass and core) just to get the in hull transducer to work properly. If it is shooting through solid glass they work, through core, not so much.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering the same thing, I was looking at the GT-15 transducer that mounts internally....keep us updated on how it works for you
Old 04-10-2016, 07:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Will do. Luckily my future daughter in law is an engineer for Garmin and all of her bridesmaids are too (a couple even in the marine division and one in avaition) and they are all lake rats. Great resource for cool toys.

Last edited by BMBoyer; 04-10-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the 741 xs and wasn't looking to add the sonar transducer until I talked to a guy that knew a lot about Garmin and told me about the inside mount model...I will be interested how it works
Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BMBoyer
Will do. Luckily my future daughter in law is an engineer for Garmin and all of her bridesmaids are too (a couple even in the marine division and one in avaition) and they are all lake rats. Great resource for cool toys.
Are any of the bridesmaid's single & attractive?? i was wanting to get a 741 & would be willing to pick up in person. Could you mount the transducer where Cigarette installed the original depth gauge transducer? My assumption was if i had the Garmin, i could do away with the original unit & use the same cutout.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

To answer your first question, no they are all married but they are cute for engineers

The factory sounder is in the engine compartment under the starboard engine behind a glued in a false floor so it's going to take some work to get to it. I am pretty sure that location is not best anyway.

My 35 has a great spot just in front of the first step and accessible through the inspection ports in the floor of the cabin. should be a real easy wire run too. Just need to know if I have solid glass or core right nest to the keel.
I am going to try the bag-o-water trick to test the location as soon as the transducer gets here.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Should be solid glass no core
Old 04-18-2016, 10:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Should be solid glass no core
Thanks, fingers crossed that it works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.