New to Cigerette

Notices

New to Cigerette

Old 08-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Cigerette

Hello All,

Just picked up my first Cigerette and after my second ride I'm seeing what all the chant is about. Boat runs great with a pair of 496's and just had the Raylar 525 upgrades just completed. My wife and I enjoy overnighter's and do a lot of anchoring, but the boat did not come with an anchor as I thought. I found that the anchor is stored under the rear seat and I seem to have a bracket hold down in place. Does anyone know the anchor that works with this bracket or should I abandon this thought and just get something new and retro fit a new hold down. ?? I am also wondering the best way to actually anchor this boat. Do you toss the anchor just outside the cockpit and then run the line to the bow cleat. ? and if so do you just run the leftover line run back and place it back under the seat. ? Seems strange to have the leftover line run back to the seat. My last boat was a Magnum Sedan and they had a anchor box on the deck and just seamed to make it a bit easier.

I appreciate any feedback I can get so I can get this off my laundry list.
Thanks
Joe T

Last edited by jtilt; 08-29-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the family I bought my café and planned to keep it 3-5 years its been 17 still love it
Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One Cig owner to another: this sounds like a serious PITA if you like to anchor a fair amount. I would actually consider springing for some glasswork to put an anchor hatch and locker up on the bow.

Failing that, you could (some will squirm and cry blasphemy, but a boat has to be usable) mount a roller on the bow with a plow anchor, with hardware to dog it down and a hawse-hole to run the anchor rode belowdecks. I think that would be more usable and better looking than putting anchor chocks on the bow and mounting a Danforth-style anchor flat on the bow. Years back, I bought a Nova Marine with a roller and a plow anchor on the bow--worked great and very convenient. Looked fine. On a Cafe Racer, not as good but you'd get away with it. Lots of folks are figuring out it's a good way to go.

Failing all of that, if you're stuck with an anchor living under the stern seat, I'd buy an aluminum Fortress that at least takes the curse out of schlepping it around all the time.. Which you'll be doing if you have to keep it way back there. Honestly, there's no GOOD way to deal with it unless it lives in or on the bow. If there's room to do a proper locker up there, I'd spend the $$ and do the project in the Winter.

My Cig 24 is MUCH smaller than your Cafe Racer, and it'd STILL be a horrible PITA without the anchor locker up front. You can see the SS lid of mine in the pic below. (For a custom modified Danforth that they used in a few Cigs and Magnum 27s.)

Last edited by Ghost24; 08-29-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

i have a box anchor, but i keep it folded in its bag. i store it down below in the cabin. when time to anchor, i first place it on the cockpit dash, then climb up on the deck, grab the anchor & stumble to the bow to toss out. tie it up, bring the bag back & toss in the cabin. its a slight pita, so i try to raft up next to cruisers where i dont have the potential to lose anchor.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Buy and keep a Box Anchor, under the back seat. www.slideanchor.com

Keep it, along with your anchor line, in a sized appropriate duffel bag. Almost always, I'll take it out, and deploy it from the cockpit or swim platform. Then walk the line up to the bow and tie it off. Doing it this way gives you a nice rode as a byproduct (which you can always adjust). The Box Anchor requires no chain, and usually no more rode than the length of your boat.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-30-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a fluke anchor and keep it under the back seat. I have 100' of rope that I wrap with a spool I found at West marine. When I anchor, I toss it off the side then work my way up the bow. It doesn't bother me. The extra line stays neat around the spool and I just let the spool sit between the 2 bow cleats.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOCK-ER, LOCK-ER...

You will be SOOO happy.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like some folks are living with the schlep-around approach okay. If you do that, definitely look at a Fortress aluminum anchor. Will be effective with far less chance of beating up the boat.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

I know it's an add for someone else's anchor but what's this guy doing wrong with the box anchor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBB6TFSZepI All the talk about box anchors has me interested, my danforth is a bit of a nuisance.

RR
Old 08-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
I know it's an add for someone else's anchor but what's this guy doing wrong with the box anchor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBB6TFSZepI All the talk about box anchors has me interested, my danforth is a bit of a nuisance.

RR
Box anchor does not respond well to linear pull, which is why the front of the anchor dug in, and the rear didn't set. Add pull from an angle (as you would experience in water) and the rear flukes will set along with the front. In the advertisement, the gent tugging the Danforth type anchor is applying a more linear pull, which actually helped the anchor to plow in. In water, the pull will not be coming from the same linear direction, so the result will not likely be the same. Summarize it as "a prejudiced method of testing" if you like...
Old 08-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Offshore is correct . The test did not reflect true working conditions for the box anchor . I have had Danforth and other styles and nothing compares to how easy the box sets even in extremely rocky conditions like on our lake . The only draw back is it is on the heavy side .
RG.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.