Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Straight Bottom T/G Speeds >

Straight Bottom T/G Speeds

Notices

Straight Bottom T/G Speeds

Old 09-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

I will admit, that when the Sandusky bay was kicking up a constant, and predictable, 2-3 ft wave set, it's the best the boat has ever run. Smooth as heck @ 75mph.

My one bad experience has me a little spooked so I was probably laying off the throttles and had the boat setup wrong for cruising. She runs great above 90 with 1-2ft chop, straight, solid, and predictable.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
I ran a Kevlar gun this weekend with bravos and 600sc's. Hop or porpoise was worse than any other gun I've been on. Drives are real high, this was an early lip ship boat. Going to put a 1" spacer in and lab the props see how it is. Could extend the strakes a little further and engineer some rocker into them to hold the bow down a little
Bravo Straight bottoms changed the Center of Gravity, they hopped more. I rode on a 1/2 cabin 87 bravo Top Gun, it was bad. Guns were built to have transmissions and better weight ratios.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I think straight hulls all have a lil porpoise in them, just comes with nature of the hull. If it's dead smooth mine will not at cruise 48-52mph, gets just a lil chop it will start & never stop. Lil negative tab it goes away. Anything above 60mph the nose lays over & goes over near anything.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Bravo Straight bottoms changed the Center of Gravity, they hopped more. I rode on a 1/2 cabin 87 bravo Top Gun, it was bad. Guns were built to have transmissions and better weight ratios.
I've run several bravo top guns, this one acts very differently. It is the only Kevlar, bravo gun I've ran though
Old 09-23-2016, 07:09 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine runs straight as an arrow from 70mph and up. No hop. Drive input no longer does anything for speed so I run them level and tabs are all the way up at 70mph plus.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mmb
Mine runs straight as an arrow from 70mph and up. No hop. Drive input no longer does anything for speed so I run them level and tabs are all the way up at 70mph plus.
I've gotten myself in trouble running fast, in bigger water, above 70mph with the tabs all the way up. Never again. they will always be even with the hull or slightly negative from now on. Boat is extremely bow happy, might be the tonnage I have bolted to the rear end.

These things do not fly level. Would look into getting into a twin step or catamaran after this boat.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have been on a handful of 38 cigs. Things change when you get away from the TRS / Bravo props and get into the ssm stuff handling wise.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Registered

Anyway to find COG on these without an Engineering study? Does anyone know where the designed COG is?

idea - I could just hang it by one of my cranes by one strap and figure out which way it tips, then mark it.....
Old 09-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

What I have found is that all older boats need double the HP they were built with so that they can cruise at the original top speed. They all seem to get happier at 65+.

My little 27 is the same way, Most comfortable at 60+, other wise it feels like its apart of the water vs running over the top.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig's "Hero" shot from a few years ago on Old School.....check out drives/tab position. I haven't topped his 112# yet but have the pony capability to do so and want some new pics.[ATTACH=CONFIG]559682[/ATTACH]

Frick - agree with you, you have to keep tabs in play at higher speeds in certain conditions. I have a full cabin w/enclosed head....amazing how removing Every pound of extra "crap" up in the nose and under a half tank of fuel makes for a much flatter smooth ride. You need to come up north next summer to play!
Attached Thumbnails Straight Bottom T/G Speeds-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.