Cigarette 20 with long trim tabs

Notices

Cigarette 20 with long trim tabs

Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette 20 with long trim tabs

I could use some information to help make a decision to install the 30 inch long trim tabs or keep the current trim tabs. I have a Cigarette 20, trs and 600 hp bbc. I am about to replace the transom and contemplating adding the 14" x 30" trim tabs instead of the boat leveler tabs currently on the boat. If I am going to make a change this will be the best time and way fewer holes in the transom. I am aware that many Cigarette 20 boats have undergone extensive rebuilding at Lip-Ship and they always add the longer trim tabs. But, all if not most have Blackhawk drives and I wanted to inquire about the longer tabs on a TRS setup. Please let me know any actual results from installing the longer tabs.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going to replace the transom I would consider swapping out the TRS for a Bravo. This will do a couple things for you. First eliminating the Transmission will move the motor back giving you better balance and reduced weight. Second you will have a lot more room to work on anything in the engine room. Lastly is you can find a set of 280 or 380 trim tabs, the trim plates interchange so its an easy swap. I know its more money but the bravo conversion will save you in the long run. If your TRS stuff is in nice shape you should be able to get $2500-$3000 easy for it which will get you into the bravo at break even or maybe alittle out of pocket.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
If you are going to replace the transom I would consider swapping out the TRS for a Bravo. This will do a couple things for you. First eliminating the Transmission will move the motor back giving you better balance and reduced weight. Second you will have a lot more room to work on anything in the engine room. Lastly is you can find a set of 280 or 380 trim tabs, the trim plates interchange so its an easy swap. I know its more money but the bravo conversion will save you in the long run. If your TRS stuff is in nice shape you should be able to get $2500-$3000 easy for it which will get you into the bravo at break even or maybe alittle out of pocket.
I completely agree with this ^^^^^^.

Did the same TRS/Bravo conversion a few years back on our 20. Rides much better and doesn't sit as deep in the water. Holeshot was definitely improved. Now... ours is powered with a 383 Mag Stroker and never had trim tabs. I really don't see the need for them unless you're doing some serious jumping and trying to keep level.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks or the great comments. I had considered the bravo conversion in the past but need to give it some more thought. It is definitely the way to go!