Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sprsptr
That's a disturbing visual!
Probably right, but you got the point.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

The value of my Playboy will go up, now that the magazine is back to printing the appropriate material.......lol. It was announced today!
Attached Thumbnails 35  Twin Steps-ciggy3.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

^^Ha, good point. That is one good looking boat.

Still regret not buying the Silver and white Phil had years ago, was a nice machine.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Production costs may be an issue, but I think smaller Cigs have a lot of draw. We really are getting spoiled when a 38 is the entry level craft. There was a time not that long ago when that was the biggest model. I would think that on a smaller lake a nice 20 or 24 with the Cigarette panache would be cool. Just look at what the older small Donzi' s are selling for, they seem to really hold value. Just my opinion.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

I remember crawling around the first actual playboy 35 built on the 2001 FPC Islamorada poker run. Fell in LOVE with it immediately. The mahogany floors, all the chrome accents and the painted grey motors, drives and tabs against that black paint with grey interior ooooozed class. Hit an absolute home run with the design of that boat. To me, the true Playboy Cigs are the 5 (I believe) solid color ones that were built. The other 4 Playboys had different paint and then they made like 7 Mystiques.

And yes, production costs are very similar for a 30, 36, 38, 42. Think about the differences in the build, it's all in the bow. little more fiberglass, wood, vinyl and that's it. Same amount of man hours and labor to layup, paint, interior, etc. The price point needs to be too close so the smaller boats don't do well new when you could get a bigger boat for nearly the same price. Just as production costs don't go up too much for say a 50SS over a 46 or even 42 but the price goes waaaaaay up. Skips no dummy lol.

I like that blue playboy too. nice color. buying boats in Europe is a PITA.

Last edited by thisistank; 02-17-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Registered

Correct tank, Skip is a good owner, the best since Don! As you said, class is not limited to size, but is an expression of details and material choices. Just hate to see so many CC's and less focus on traditional go fast boats. The market has shifted, and Skip's job is to earn profits, which he is certainly doing. After the downturn of about 2007, new family focused designs were explored and all of the major players are hard into them. It is not the sexy big block powered limited dimension sport boats that I grew up lusting for but what do I know? It is cool to see quad outboards running mid 80's or better now, they just don't sound great! Some would argue that the "sound" is the biggest detriment to traditional sport boats, but I still love the lope of my 653" supercharged Zul's! The fact that Cigarette is building AMG affiliated CC's shows us that the market has certainly spoken. When I see Phil list a "Lipship" modified or manufactured CC, I will be convinced.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by sprsptr
Correct tank, Skip is a good owner, the best since Don! As you said, class is not limited to size, but is an expression of details and material choices. Just hate to see so many CC's and less focus on traditional go fast boats. The market has shifted, and Skip's job is to earn profits, which he is certainly doing. After the downturn of about 2007, new family focused designs were explored and all of the major players are hard into them. It is not the sexy big block powered limited dimension sport boats that I grew up lusting for but what do I know? It is cool to see quad outboards running mid 80's or better now, they just don't sound great! Some would argue that the "sound" is the biggest detriment to traditional sport boats, but I still love the lope of my 653" supercharged Zul's! The fact that Cigarette is building AMG affiliated CC's shows us that the market has certainly spoken. When I see Phil list a "Lipship" modified or manufactured CC, I will be convinced.
Things come and go in waves. CC's are all the rage right now. The boat companies will always produce performance boats and the demand will always be there in my opinion. I too love the lobe of big HP, I think most of us do.
And Phil is actually selling a LOT of CC's. I don't know how much extra touches he's putting into them but he's definitely going with the flow of selling what's popular.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:10 AM
Registered

Thanks tank, I did not realize that Phil already was into CC's. Phil too is a great business man, and certainly has earned a dedicated following. I guess we will have to adjust expectations and accept that the industry is certainly stronger with the influx of "Fish Boats"