Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Late 80's Early 90's Quality >

Late 80's Early 90's Quality

Notices

Late 80's Early 90's Quality

Old 10-29-2002, 08:50 AM
Joe D

Default Late 80's Early 90's Quality

I'm new to this board as of yesterday. I was looking for some advice on whether or not to walk away from a 93 Top Gun that I was planning on buying but failed the survey. The consensus was to just walk away, which I am now going to do. However, I was wondering, is the quality issues that I saw on this 93 the exception rather than the rule?

This boat had a rotten bulkhead forward of the fuel tanks and a moist transom. I realize that this may be more caused by neglect (standing water in the boat) than by poor quality but the fact that the front of the bulkhead was not even gel coated concerns me a little about the quality coming out of the factory during that timeframe.

I want to buy a Cigarette but I must admit my desire is based more on the looks than on my knowledge about the quality of the boats.

I guess the bottom line for my question is this? Are there any years of a Cigarette that I should stay away from due to quality/manufacturing issues at that time. I realize that the survey I had done saved me a lot of money in the long run but I'd hate to keep finding boats, fork out $400+ just to have them fail a survey and have to keep looking.

Old 10-29-2002, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Which TG?

Joe D,

I also am looking for a late 80's early 90's Cafe or TG. I am interested in your findings.

Is the TG you looked at the same one advertised in the classifieds here with the Poker Run Seating (Ohio)?

Moist Transom is not good, so best to walk away.

PM me at [email protected]

Wannabe in Motor City
Old 10-29-2002, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like that boat spent a bit of time submerged.

Anyway, I believe I saw a post by Scott Smith on Sean's site mentioning to avoid 89-91's. However, I just tried to go to www.thunderboatalley.com to get the quote, but it seems Sean has closed her down. Too bad, he had quite a collection of history there.

Luckily, we have a number of former top Cigarette exec's on board here that you can try to reach:

Craig Barrie "cbdragon"
Allan “Brownie” Brown "Brownie"
Scott Smith "ssmith76"

I hope this helps.

Last edited by MrMagloo; 10-29-2002 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:43 PM
outlawntexas

I am looking for the same. Please pass along any info found. I will do the same.

Bruce...

Old 11-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

After much searching I bought a '94 Top Gun, so I can pass along some insight to you guys. Some boats in the '89 to '91 years have reported some problems. Notably some of the Carbon 70 boats needed significant stringer lamination repairs. I looked at (I believe a '91) Carbon 70 with small blower motors and shaky Bravo's in Lauderdale that the guy advertized as a '10'. If that boat is a 10, so is Roseanne Barr.

Also, in your search, don't forget that TRS's are pretty obsolete.

I would agree that Scott Smith is the man. He has helped me with a bunch of info.

Hope you find this helpful.
Barry

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 11-19-2002, 03:52 PM
Registered

Good info...
I've seen some killer deals on a couple of late 80's Cafe Racers.
It seems most of the older ones have TRS drives to. What would you have to do to update these drives to something modern?
Thanks
Old 11-19-2002, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wet transoms...

Take a look in "questions for Craig or Scott". Scroll down to the 8th reply. You'll see Scott's reply on this.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:01 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW and because it was brought up . . I purchased a '91 Carbon 70 Cafe' in 1995 that saw Lake Michigan use for 3 years and I had no issues what so ever. It did not look / appear like anything had been re-done on the boat either. I had it surveyed before purchase also. I sold it to a guy in the Lake Of the Ozarks area.

Everything was good, dry, tight, and properly sealed on that '91 Cafe'.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:23 AM
Registered

bajadave, why update? The TRS is stronger than a Bravo and you can still get all the parts for them. Of course, I'm selling a Cig with TRS's but I had the same question when I bought mine. The answer was -" It aint gonna break". Something Bravo 1 users cannot claim.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Registered

Thanks Jim, thats good to hear!
I've seen alot of comments that are becoming obsolete, and you can't find parts for them? Can you get parts thru Merc. yet?
I've got alot to learn about drives. I'm really only familiar with the Bravo's.

Sorry to see your Cafe for sale, sure is going to make someone a nice boat, I love the teak work in the cabin. I'm hoping to unload my boat and move into something like that.
What kind of power did you have and what kind of speeds were you seeing?

Quick Reply: Late 80's Early 90's Quality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.