Notices

35 Café Ride & Handling.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 35 Café Ride & Handling.

Hey Guys,

I had a nice thread going on 35 Cafés the other day before the threads were lost on Tuesday and I got some great responses, but it's all gone now.

Anyway, I was inquiring on the performance characteristics of Mid-to-late 90's Cafés. If anyone can offer some insight, it would be greatly appreciated, or if the previous posters wouldn't mind reposting that would be great. How do they compare to other boats in their size class, any inherant aspects that anyone may know of and how do the different configurations compare, ex. Carbon vs Kevlar vs Glass hulls, full cabin vs partial cabin, etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 35 Café Ride & Handling.

Baja!!

Whats up! I'm still looking myself. But from what I have found you can just about find a used Top Gun for the same price or just a little more . Unless your looking for that footage .I'm not talking an extravigant Top Gun, but something used with good stock power.

I as well would like to hear some input on both used models for definite purchasing purposes. I found a used 90 Top Gun that sold for 65 grand about 6 months ago. It did need some cosmetic work but nothing major.

Lets see what we get for feedback! And oh yeah BAJA , I'm still lovin' it here in IRAQ!!!!! LOL!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey 29Scarab!!!

How's it going man?!

I've noticed that the price difference isn't that great, but I'm concentrating on sticking to my goals of something in the 32'-35' range. 35' is about as big as I want to go right now due to space and weight limitations.

Good luck and be safe over there. You guys are definately a courageous bunch! Thanks.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys who posted previously had some very good comments...I can only comment on my 87 model with TRS drives...

First thing I would say is the ride is incredibly smooth. the boat is heavy and if you plan on boating instead of staying at the dock when the wind picks up, this is the boat to own. Mine is fiberglass and probably weighs about 10,000 pounds with with half tanks of fuel. But, for very little money, you're stylin in a Cigarette that looks and feels like the 200,000 boats that others are spending.

Cigarette only made a full cabin version of this boat as far as I know and i think they stopped building them around 95 or 96.

my boat seems to require alot of trim to get bow lift...i'm running 26" bravo I props spinning out with 540 CI for power. we've never really tried to see what it will do at wot, but I can say that 3400-3500 produces a 50mph cruise on GPS and that suits me just fine... These boats will never be rocketships unless you throw gobs of power at them...and I mean like 1000hp per side... In fact a 38 Top Gun with the same power will probably run the same speed...

I hope this helps...the Bravo guys may be able to add more info...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Awesome info, Thanks!!

Sounds perfect, just what I'm looking for. I hate staying at home when it starts getting a little rough. Speed sounds good, too! I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a great offshore ride.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Daze
Awesome info, Thanks!!

Sounds perfect, just what I'm looking for. I hate staying at home when it starts getting a little rough. Speed sounds good, too! I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a great offshore ride.
With bravos........

LS JR.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes, with bravos(break-o's).
Old 07-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Registered

i was wondering where this thread went. in my eyes a cafe is a great way to get into the world of the big boys. it rides like a tank in any type water. seems to be a few nice cafes on the market right now. mid west power has some nice rides, you should check out. it s looks like there is a few with some power and some #3s out there. nice set up, if you ask me. i have been in a few boats in its class and nicer and the ride is nothing like a cafe. cafe is a great ride, if a top gun is not in your future. if your worried about weight, and transport, well your in the same weight as a top gun. if a 1 ton truck is not in your life one had better be if you plan on trailering this rig. im with you with bravos, they suck.... in my eyes a trs is in the class of a #3. so until trs parts are super hard to get. ill stick with them. i plan on putting some blowers on so, i might be looking for some used #6s soon. until then the trs is a great set up, and twice the drive a bravo is. good hunting.... Mr. Wonderful
Attached Thumbnails -572s-good-pic.jpg   -572s-good-pic-007.jpg   -michaels-cam-035.jpg  

Last edited by stecz20; 07-22-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 2,802 Likes on 943 Posts

stecz, you're going to put 6's on a cafe?? Anyone ever done that? I've seen them w/3's but never 6's.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

yeah, why not... i do not plan on getting rid of this ride for a very long time. i do plan on getting an old gun with a similar setup. big power and #6s. few yrs for that. the two older rigs will be floating next to each other, next to my bulkhead, that would be bad...i know in many peoples eyes id be wasting my money, but hey sounds pretty crazy. i have 572s now and would love to put some 10-71s on there or 8-71s. that would put me in the range of a #6. its pushing 650 hp per side now, so i take it easy on her. sounds like a plan, right???

Last edited by stecz20; 07-22-2004 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 35 Café Ride & Handling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.