Notices

trs plug

Old 11-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default trs plug

I have a trs drive and on my drive shaft housing there is a plug that is described as "plug,trim tab hole". Anyway, my plugs are missing and I noticed that there is water sitting in that hole. I don't know how much water that hole holds but I am concerned about how to drain that hole. Also, what is the purpose of that hole. In the winter the water in that hole may freeze and cause damage. What should I do ? Please Advise?

HERE IS A LINK TO A PARTS DIAGRAM ITS PART #8

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...+GEAR+ASSEMBLY
Old 11-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: trs plug

its if what i think it is its the hole right above the zinc. the only reason for the hole is to get an alan wrench in for the zinc. not a problem and it will not do any damage when it freezes. it it bothers you suck out the water and get a cap for it from mercruiser. stecz
Old 11-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that is what it is! How do I get that to drain?? There has to be something clogged because my other drive isn't holding any water in that hole? What do you think?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont even worry about it, im sure if you take the zinc out it will drain. im sure you can suck it out if it bothers you that much. i had the same concern and was told not to even bother with it. go to the auto parts store and get a primer pump. small hand primer, to get it out and go to mercruiser and get the plug. im sure its like .50 or a 1.00 cant be much. no worries, it wont do any damage. but if it makes you sleep better, get it out. stecz